Husbandry of Stephens Banded Snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoplophile

Reaction score
Hi all. I am interested in how many keep, or have kept Stephens Banded Snakes. They are one of my favourite elapids however very few people seem to keep them and fewer keepers seemed to have bred them - or bred them consistently anyway (I know of a few people who seem to have bred them once by accident). Anyhow I'd be keen to see some discussion on here as to what works and what doesn't husbandry-wise and any hints on breeding. Oh...and post some pics as well!

Only a handful of people on here even have experience with them.
Talking to Roy Pails would be your best bet, he has a few.

They are fairly easy to keep. Successful breeding however is a bit of a different story. Generally matings and getting the females gravid is not too hard but getting good neonates is more the issue with either seemingly high numbers of still borns or unusually weak neonates. This can be compounded with high numbers of unfertilized ova.

Cheers
Scott

Thanks guys. I've looked at Roy's site..males only advertised there I'm afraid. Looks like a species that might fade out unless someone cracks the breeding....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back