Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

junglepython2

What do people think of the Stephens Banded x Broad-headed snake on Herptrader?

Add no. 728-101

I would imagine those that dont like hybrids wont like it (duh)

Haha, cute! "Never photographed before, picture of animal included" :lol:

Pretty bland cross, high price, testing the legal waters... interesting!

I would imagine those that dont like hybrids wont like it (duh)

This isn't a typical subspecies hybrid though, it's two different species which is rarely seen in Australia. While I don't personally like hybrids I thought it was interesting none the less.

Haha I was thinking the same thing. What species code would it go under?

haha i noticed that too, but i thought it was legal to breed hybrids in NSW :?

haha i noticed that too, but i thought it was legal to breed hybrids in NSW :?

I thought it was illegal to intentionally breed them (as with everywhere else in Australia), but unlike most other states, if it accidentally happened, the animals could be held on permit (elsewhere, the animals are confiscated, destroyed, and the owners are sometimes penalised). In this case, the snake is being sold proudly at a high price. If nothing happens here, it'll mean that they're basically saying "It's okay to 'accidentally' hybridise whatever you want, go for it, make your Carpondros, Womets, etc etc, then charge what you like for it".

I may be wrong, perhaps this is already perfectly acceptable by the NSW NPWS.

wasn't something similar to this featured in REptiles Australia?

I would be interested to see in what ways the venom has been altered! That would be a fun trip to the hospital, "so what species was the snake again?"

Both species have very similar venom and both are treated with the same thing (Tiger Snake antivenene). The hybrid venom would be pretty much the same as either of the parental venoms. No big deal :)

I would be interested to see in what ways the venom has been altered! That would be a fun trip to the hospital, "so what species was the snake again?"

I would imagine being the same genus it would make little differance. A mulga x brown snake would be a differant story(if that is at all possible to make).

There's a pure BroadHead for sale on RDU right now. I know which one i'd rather buy.

Whoever bred that thing ought to be shot. Hybridising an endangered species; what an absolute idiot.

Last edited by a moderator:
caustichumor, i agree, wat do u reckon the bite/venom would be like. Are stephens venomous? i no broad headeds are, but beautiful looking snake, despite the fact it is a hybrid!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back