I.D? I just found this gecko

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

emmadiamond

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I just walked into my bedroom and found my cat trying to get this little guy.
Can anyone tell me what sort of gecko this is?
I live on the northern beaches in sydney.
I caught him and put him in a tank.
I also need to know, where I can release it
should I just take it outside?
and what it eats (incase it takes me more than a few days to release)
It looks pretty skinny.
Sorry for the crappy photo.
032.jpg

Looks like an Asian House Gecko. It will be fine anywhere outside.

Looks like an Asian House Gecko to me. I thought they were only around Brisbane though...

Had them in motel room in newcastle, there pests here in lismore, good hatchie food though

I couldn't feed him to my snakes. It's too cute. Plus who knows if it's got parasites.
I guess I'll just let him go and hope he doesnt come back, otherwise my cat might get his way..

I couldn't feed him to my snakes. It's too cute. Plus who knows if it's got parasites.
I guess I'll just let him go and hope he doesnt come back, otherwise my cat might get his way..

It looks too dark for an Asian House Gecko, (maybe just bad photo) but perfect shape though.

They always carry red mites under their claws. Tthere's no way I would feed them, (introduced pest) to my snakes.

The National Museum published an article (at least online) about them.

They're an introduced pest etc. etc.
can be found from NT coast, East QLD, to south Sydney coast...

They sort of hibernate (completely not seen) during winter and show up again in warmer months. (at least in Brisbane).

Very noisy, hate their call at night, keep me awake all night during summer.
They're around lights, good at eating the moths in the garage thought!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It is not the best photo to try and make an ID. Irrespective, the digital pads are consistent with Hemidacvtylus frenatus. There is an indication of the first one and possible two spines along the tail that are characteristic of Hemidacvtylus frenatus. Try and get a decent photo in good light. They are often quite dark and patterned in low light conditions and almost transparent in strong light conditions e.g. daylight.

If you can make positive ID then let the Australian Museum know.

Blue

I love it when they show up here in Mebourne, it's happened a few times now to

Attachments

• ahgts.JPG
    ahgts.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 176
  • aa.JPG
    aa.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 181
  • ahgtsa.JPG
    ahgtsa.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 206
Didn't realise they were such a big problem? I read they really only inhabit homes? They're everywhere here.

Is it even legal to release pest animals you've caught? I have a feeling it isn't.

Yeah it depends on the state, species etc but generally noxious species have to be destroyed (only when 110% you can identify the species) or handed in.

Last edited:
it dose look like an asian house gecko natives have much rounder heads and toe pads. if it is ahg and found i sydney it may have come from up north some were. i would have thought it be to cold for them down in sydney and yes i have seen them in newcastlevtho none here in singleton nsw. i think derm would be intrested to know about it also get on to the queensland meuseam about it thay are keeping an eye on it spred accross australia

Yeah it depends on the state, species etc but generally noxious species have to be destroyed (only when 110% you can identify the species) or handed in.

No they don't, the general public have no skills for animal ID or to humanly euthanise an animal so I doubt it is expect, or law in any state or territory.

I have seen someone advertising for ahg in Sydney. Wanted them as part of his collection and as far as I could see from the short time I spent looking it up they are on nsw license ( correct me if wrong ) I know in qld they are classified as a pest but don't think they are in nsw.

License? For an introduced pest??
That sounds like (EPA) joke!

Most nights I have at least 10 in my garage ceiling and a few others inside.

A hand full more can also be heard from across road at neighbours'

They're noisy little buggers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back