I.D. Please

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HerpAddict

Reaction score
relocated this little fella from work, very carefully.
not a happy chappy either
Found near Newcastle NSW
possibly a brown...?

03032012745.jpg29022012734.jpg

Attachments

• 04032012748.jpg
    04032012748.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 127
cheers richoman. he was pretty snappy.
still not good to get bitten by then

Unless your allergic there bark is worse than bite, nice looking specimen by the way. I remember collecting some for a uni student from around the baradine area pillga scrub, 17 in two days if I remember right. Hard to keep in captivity as there a skink feeder and hard to convert to pinkies.

Just a bit of info for you InsaneHerpFreak. The Whip Snake (Genus - Demansia) group of snakes have the "Comma" mark around the eye as a common characteristic. While the Yellow-faced Whip snake is probably the most common, you'll find that some of the others aren't as forgiving when it comes to being bitten. Familiarise yourself with those species common to your area.

Next time you should be able to id a Whip Snake from a Brown. Either way, you did the right thing by being careful when dealing with a unknown snake species.

Whip-Snake.jpg

Last edited:
cheers everyone. good to know he wasnt as potent as i thought. they are probably more common atm because of bazzilion skinks around

Brown hash, how did u become so wise... lol. does everyone just use the internet for info and research? or are there some really good books describing all the different genera etc? i wouldnt know where to start, but i would like to know EVERYTHING!!

I still have a long way to go before I consider myself wise, I prefer to think of myself as only partially retarded, as opposed to fully retarded.

If you want a good book, then I would recommend Wilson and Swan 3rd Edition. It has most of the latest species, its easy to read, and has relatively easy diagnostics of species.

As for a place to start, the local stuff is generally the best place. If you do an Atlas Search on NSW BioNet, you can define an area and it will show you species recorded there. Then all you need to do is focus on the ones you are interested in i.e. frogs, skinks, snakes etc.

Also, go herping. Spend time wondering around the bush looking for animals. Don't take them from the wild, photograph them like most people do; and make sure you respect their habitats by returning any moved logs or rocks to the way they were. The less impact you make, the better.

Have fun.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back