"I Do" said the death adder....

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slim6y

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Published On: 4-21-2010
Source: Cairns News (Post)

MARRIAGE celebrations for Cameron and Julia Geyer turned sour on Sunday when a death adder joined the party.

The newlyweds were having a barbecue with family and friends at their Kewarra Beach home to celebrate their wedding on Saturday.

About 8.15pm, Mr Geyer’s Melbourne mate, Dustin O’Connor, walked in to the kitchen to be greeted by an almost fully grown northern death adder, the world’s fifth deadliest snake.

With Mr Geyer’s five-and-a half-month-old baby girl Chloe in the next room sleeping next to Mr O’Connor’s 16-month-old son, Deikin, panic set in.

“We had a shovel ready in case it tried to get to their rooms,” Mr Geyer said.

“The snake was still for about 20 minutes but in the last 10 minutes it started moving towards us.”

Cairns Snake Removals owner David Walton removed the snake and said a bite from it could kill a child.

“I’m glad they called me and didn’t risk a bite,” he said.

Go to Original Article

Same old, same old. Although the snake didnt end up dead for a change with the person who killed it being named a hero. It sounds like the right thing was done and all the correct steps were taken to remove a poisonous snake. Why is this in the news? and why do they have to mention that a bite could kill a child?

At least they did the right thing and had it safely removed instead of killing it like all these other morons have done. Respect!

Why is this in the news? and why do they have to mention that a bite could kill a child?

That's Cairns Post for you mate. I am surprised they didn't say the adder was 2 metres long when it attacked the newly weds with open mouth baring its huge fangs, ready to strike with its deadly tail.

Why is this in the news? and why do they have to mention that a bite could kill a child?

Must be a very slow news day, then again, it's Cairns, every day is a slow news day, isn't it? Surprising they said a bite could kill a child rather than "This snake carries enough venom to kill several football teams" or something similarly impressive. Not that making Death Adders sound less scarey than usual is a bad thing.

Let's rename the Death Adder to the Cute and Cuddly Friend Adder.

But seriously these guys did the right thing, they were thinking defense rather than attack. Even though they would have tried to kill the snake if it got into the kids rooms, I think that's fair enough.

This is a great example of how everybody should act if they find a snake in there house, they called a snake relocator instead of just straight out chopping it into pieces, i think fair enough if the snake did go into kids room i would probably kill the snake. But Herpers like we are wouldn't do that.
Thanks Tim.

Such a superfast moving creature and one that goes out of it's way to kill children can't be taken lightly! I'm amazed everyone got out of the house alive!!

My advice to these people is often sound; get out of the house and set the building on fire! It's the only way to be sure you've killed it! ;)

I just like the prude who commented on the original article haha.

You mean "What can I say. Looks like his venom caused a problem in the first place. The snake was sent as a reminder of these unweded issues."

OMG!!!

You mean "What can I say. Looks like his venom caused a problem in the first place. The snake was sent as a reminder of these unweded issues."

OMG!!!

yup. I wonder if my reply will be published

To me the bit that was missing is the it could have killed several football teams "without treatment".

Snake bite in Australia is now only fatal (for the most part) without treatment!

Haha! I didn't check the original article until I read the prude comment here! That's hillarious! Good old religion causing harsh judgement of others for thousands of years! :lol:

To me the bit that was missing is the it could have killed several football teams "without treatment".

Snake bite in Australia is now only fatal (for the most part) without treatment!

I mostly agree with what you are saying there, but I do concede that the venom from a death adder would most likely kill an infant child even if treated almost immediately. lymphatic system is a lot smaller and easier for the venom to move around, the increased heart beat would mean that lymphatic circulation would be increased.
My only real qualm was that the likelihood of an adder seeking out and biting a sleeping toddler in another room is so low that it really doesnt warrant mentioning. Yes it could have killed a child if the circumstances were vastly different, but they were in another room.

I like the 'intelligence' in the most recent comment on there by John. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back