I found a snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is still of foreign origin and meets the requirements to be classified as exotic...

However in general context we generally say that exotics are from abroad because it's easier to identify what we're talking about.

It's exotic to the locale that it currently is and would likely die quickly due to the climate in the wild.

there is a obvious terminology problem there, which could be a bit more clarified. or non local native or something alike could be used.

sadly i would have to think the lack of funds would force the state to destroy it. it would cost too much to send animals constantly back to where they came from. geez they dont even do that with boat people, they just cage them on a island.

well back to the topic, the tree snake needs to be handed in and forget about it. if you have developed a love for the one then do the right thing and then start looking for a replacement you can legally purchase and keep.

why ask you are only going to keep it anyway, should of just said nothing

At the end of the day I see you have three choices.
a) Keep it and say you didn't.
b) Contact DSE and see if they will give you some sort of permission to keep it.
c) Find a snake friendly driver where you work and see if they will take it back north and find a nice place to let it go as they are common enough anywhere north of Coffs.

Each option has it's risks
a) If you get found out the penalties would not be worth the pleasure of having had the snake.
b) They may let you but it is probably doubtful (you don't know unless you ask) and they will put the snake down.
c) Releasing the snake away from it's known/familiar territory (as I understand it) reduces it's chance of survival in any district.

To me c) sounds like the best option for the snake although b) with a positive outcome would be what you might hope for.

most markets like flemmington in sydney have a person to call and collect these animals I pulled a little lost frog out of a cos lettuce a few years back and took him to F A T S too easy

i don't think its right to kill it. our system is crap. its an australian native and an animal that can be kept on licence. if we don't look after our licenced animals to their standard we loose our licence and they take the animals. if an animal ends up in the wrong place by accident they kill it, they should loose their licence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back