Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You're obviously very passionate about this particular issue, but see it from the other perspective too.
If they have not enough staff/not enough money/not enough knowledge to care for the animals then aren't they better off closing the doors/giving up the animal than struggling to stay open to the detriment of the creatures?

Believe me, I appreciate the work that goes in to caring for collections of wildlife (I am a volunteer keeper and am studying captive animals) as well as the great work for conservation that can be achieved with the right displays, but this cannot excuse sub-par care.

:)

I know it is easy to say "well just close the doors" but in fact it is not just that easy, We had a very very good Animal Park here in Port Macquarie that was run by a very passionate and caring individual who ran it with love and care for every animal she had, the enclosures were always clean and the animals well fed and cared for as good as any mother would treat her children, this Park was very well patronized and made plenty of money but unfortunatly the lady and i say "lady" with the fullest inflection of the word was getting elderly and could no longer keep up with the hustle and bustle of running a park of that size, she tried unsuccessfully for 3 years to sell or lease the park to someone who would care for her animals as she wanted them to be cared for but in the end she had to close up shop and try and farm her animals out to other caring owners, some went to another big animal park here but a lot of them took a further 12 months to be rehomed then the land was sold to developers, what i am trying to say in a long winded way is it is not so easy to just close the doors because the existing animals still have to be cared for until they find new homes, in some cases that might not happen due to age or being unpopular then they have to be euthanised, i reckon if people found out that was happening there would be a public outcry heard across the country. :) .................................Ron

I know it is easy to say "well just close the doors" but in fact it is not just that easy, We had a very very good Animal Park here in Port Macquarie that was run by a very passionate and caring individual who ran it with love and care for every animal she had, the enclosures were always clean and the animals well fed and cared for as good as any mother would treat her children, this Park was very well patronized and made plenty of money but unfortunatly the lady and i say "lady" with the fullest inflection of the word was getting elderly and could no longer keep up with the hustle and bustle of running a park of that size, she tried unsuccessfully for 3 years to sell or lease the park to someone who would care for her animals as she wanted them to be cared for but in the end she had to close up shop and try and farm her animals out to other caring owners, some went to another big animal park here but a lot of them took a further 12 months to be rehomed then the land was sold to developers, what i am trying to say in a long winded way is it is not so easy to just close the doors because the existing animals still have to be cared for until they find new homes, in some cases that might not happen due to age or being unpopular then they have to be euthanised, i reckon if people found out that was happening there would be a public outcry heard across the country. :) .................................Ron

You make a very good point Ron :)

After reading your reply I see how this would be a very hard situation to be in and shutting doors would not necessarily solve a problem. I hope my main point (that the care of the animals needs to be the number one priority) was not lost in my less articulate post.

I love that in your example above the animals care was the driving force throughout. While i wish it wasn't the case, I think in some circumstances, sadly, there may be other reasons behind certain situations that could be easily remedied, but are not (such as the OP).

I have no idea of the particular situation where the OP visited. For all we know it is completely innocent and the animals are being cared for well and were caught at a bad moment. But if it is not innocent, it can't be excused by lack of funds/staff or experience in my opinion

:)

Yep you really have a grip on the reallity of the different situations and i agree that lack of funds or staff cannot be used as an excuse for neglect of any kind, even in the best situations some things can be taken completely out of context as was seen in a recent sojorn to a large reptile park on the central coast, i seen what i thought was a RBB laying on its back in a very unusual position in full sun and i thought it was dead as did several other people looking into the pit, i pulled 1 of the keepers to 1 side and told him and he had a good laugh and said that particular RBB just liked to sun himself that way and sure enough 15min later it rolled over and slithered into its big rock hide, lol it gave a few others there a bit of a start to see him do that, but like i said at first glance one might have yelled neglect and caused uneeded commotion, sometimes things are not what they seem at face value. :) ..............................Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back