I have a damaged snake!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

africancichlidau

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Hi guys and gals, I was putting Mustang back in his enclosure tonight after a clean out when he freaked out a bit. This resulted in him wedging himself in a hole in the hide and when he freed himself he tore off a scale or two!! My question is should I treat this with anything or just keep an eye on it?

injury

hi phil..
dab a bit of betidine on the spot once a day for a few days...
that will stop any infection while the skin heals over..
cheers paul.

My feeling from using large amounts of drugs everyday is just watch it. The wound is clean (ie not caused by say a cats claw or bite) and it should heal by itself.

Any signs of infection then off to the vet my friend.

Cheers Hawkeye

Thanks guys :) I lean towards the use of Pauls suggestion though sorry Hawks. The reason for this being I reckon it has to be better to prevent possible infection rather than treat one if it occurs? What do you guys reckon? Also does the betadine sting the snake? Just that I wanna be ready expecting it if hes gonna try rip my arm off :)

Oh, poor Mustang :( ...keep us posted on how you treat his injury and how he's recovering, always good to hear about what to do and expect before similar stuff happens to any of my girls.

Well I wouldn't do this for just anyone you know, but, seeing as it's you I most certainly will keep you posted. Don't have the betadine at the moment so I'll start treatment tomorrow and let you know how it goes :)
Still no sign of those books yet eh ?

No not offended at all Africa......I have experience with mammals of the human kind and they probably have better immune systems. We have moved away from betadine as it inhibits healing and are using chlorhexidine (Dettol) now and some green snot looking stuff that sticks around for a week.

Have no reservations about cleaning with betadine tho.

Cheers HAwkeye

Betadine only inhibits healing if used for too long. It is meant to promote new skin growth but if you continue to use it after the appearance of a scab and new skin then it will slough off whats there and start again. Betadine should only be used initially until the sore is starting to heal, at that stage you should be able to leave the wound to heal by itself unless the wound will be exposed to dirt or bacteria in which case a mild antibacterial solution can be used (not dettol) even sterile saline can be used just to maintain the cleanliness of the wound taking care not to wet the scab too much and peel it off or the new skin wont have a chance to regenerate.

I am in favour of Detol my self. By the way Afro why Mustang? Strange name.

well yes actually Mustang is coming along fine thanks guys, I have just been bathing the area with warm water and everything is settling down rather splendidly :)

Well I couldn't decide what to call my male and female Sslatemate so I called the male Mustang and the female Sally. That way I have Mustang Sally to go with Ike and Tina Turtle :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back