I Have A Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murph_BTK

Well-Known Member
My snake was submerged in his water bowl not uncommon but this time he had taken a dump in the bowl.. now he has small black dots on his skin, hes due for a shed soon.. i was wondering if i should soak him in some water? Luke warm and see if this helps with clearing up the smell and dots [emoji58].. i feel terrible right now...

add me on instagram murph_BTK
 

dragonlover1

Very Well-Known Member
Trusted Seller
are the dots moving? he might have mites

check carefully around his eyes
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Stompsy

Very Well-Known Member
Don't stress Murph. Hopefully it comes off with shed, if not, a warm bath is perfectly fine. Without suds of course. :p
 

Murph_BTK

Well-Known Member
Hey guys as the title says I have a question.. So the other day I saw a RBB tag a lil finch near a creek and the bird hopped around a bit and succumb to the venom ..the RBB took off never bothered to eat it.. I took the bird home as my kids were not happy.. would it be ok if I fed it to my monitors?? It's been frozen for a fee days and I would assume that in the wildlife plebty of wildlife get eaten by animals that have been affected by venomous snakes etc.. Just food for thought.. hate to see the lil guy die for no cause.. might as well be a snack for someone else. Life goes on [emoji106]

Instagram: murph_BTK
 

Scutellatus

Well-Known Member
I wouldn't risk it Murph. Considering the size of the bird, any venom in its tissues may not be fatal for a monitor but could possibly make it a bit ill.
 

Prof_Moreliarty

Well-Known Member
I probably wouldn't risk it either but as far as I'm aware venom can be ingested without any issues. As long as it doesn't get into the blood
 

ronhalling

Very Well-Known Member
@Murph_BTK Haven't recent studies shown that most monitors and some Tiliqua Sp carry venom in their Saliva anyway? so if that be the case then the small amount of venom in the little bird should not have any effect on your Monitor. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) -ronhalling-
 
Last edited:

Scutellatus

Well-Known Member
@Murph_BTK Haven't recent studies shown that most monitors and some Telique Sp carry venom in their Saliva anyway? so if that be the case then the small amount of venom in the little bird should not have any effect on your Monitor. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) -ronhalling-

Yes there have been studies done and venom of some type has been found. Even though an animal is venomous doesn't mean that a different type of venom won't affect them.
Look at Red Belly Blacks eating Brown snakes as an example.
 

Murph_BTK

Well-Known Member
Yeah my first thoughts was it to not risk it.. sorry bird bit of bad luck I will bury it in the backyard.. appreciate all the feedback peeps.. happy herping

Instagram: murph_BTK
 

GBWhite

Well-Known Member
APS Veteran
Personally I don't think it would have had any effect on your monitor(s). Wild monitors big and small eat vens, including highly dangerous ones, on a regular basis.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top