I Need Handling Tips!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whatmeworry

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, ive had my coastal x diamond python for almost 2 years now, and while he has never bitten me, I feel like im horrible at handling. Most of the time im too afraid to pick him up as he displays aggression (due to previous mishaps) so I end up picking him up with a stick (no doubt scaring him in the process) and handling him from there. This cant be good for me and certainly would scare him as well

Although he is only a small snake, I still dont want to be bitten, and havent been to date. This somewhat fuels the inclination to pick him up with a stick. I was just hoping that someone could help me with techniques on how to pick him up (I understand this may require getting bitten), as I need help!

Thanks in advance!

My childrens python was a bot strikey at first, and I also used a hook. Now I either carry her hide (a lightbulb box) upstairs with snake inside, so then she can always hide if feeling threatened, show when its has enough (by hiding again), and it can come out when it's ready, or if it isn't in the hide I just lighty stroke her back so she knows I'm here, andifshe "s's" up ready to strike, I just cloSe the box. If not, I pick her up. I used to just open the box, touch her, then go, until she was comfortable around me. Now she will happily sit on my hand while I walk around, go to the neighbours, etc. Also make sure you handle it in a very quiet environment until it is comfortable. Hope that helps!

Thanks! I also lift up his hide, but he is fine once hes out (except when he gets stressed and either pees or blows his nostrils), and as far as patting him to let him know - I would love to but lack the courage as he looks ready to strike. Is it worth just getting the bite?

I've always just used a hook to get my darwin out as he's cage defensive still.

Just take the bite, you'll get bitten eventually either way.

I'm also a reluctant handler of my daughters coastal, ( I look after her nowshe has moved out and can't take her)) she is 7 ft now but I use a gardening glove which she recognizes as not food and just turns her head away and i pick her up and take off the glove and soetimes even touch her with my other gloveless hand. My MD who is just under the 7ft is great and comes out to me or I simply show him my hand, when they are due for feeding is when I am more casutious with them and then leave them alone for 2 days after eating. The coastal tends to be keen to feed again so thats why the glove with her.

My bites didn't really hurt, but morely scared me because of how fast they are! The lady at the petshop said it's better to be bitten by young ones so you are less afraid when they grow up( and grow teeth- mine looks very gummy and I couldn't even see tiny teeth)

Thanks heaps everyone!! has shown me Im not the only one whos cautious! Im not keen to be bitten but i just want it to happen eventually just so I get over that little obstacle! and yes magee its not the teeth (hes tiny) but just the speed can be a little frightening!

i have 2 jungle hatchies and i think they are the most agressive snakes EVA! even though they are babies i have only been bitten once and i must admit, i am more scared of the bite rather the pain lol, as soon as i pick up the box or lift the lid to the box, he instantly goes "S" shape ready to strike. i know they are jungles and they are snappy, i hope they calm down though :D i have a golf glove but i still want to do it bare handed :D

Nothing wrong with using a hook to get snakes out. I find mine are less flighty if i use the hook to lift a bit of them up and get my hand under to pick them up, rather than just going in with hands and trying to get your hand under.

Nothing wrong with using a hook to get snakes out. I find mine are less flighty if i use the hook to lift a bit of them up and get my hand under to pick them up, rather than just going in with hands and trying to get your hand under.

I agree with Khagan it can also depend on the animal and the breed. Some animals may require a hook or glove to get them out of their cage to make a distinction that your not food. After regular handling this process may lessen with medium to larger varieties of animals you still may require initally using a hook to wake them up and get them out. The sudden shock if they are resting may cause them to strike especially if cage defensive
If a regular routine is maintained this may help settle the animal.

I use a hook with all my snakes as I always have and they are used to the routine. I find with young or flighty snakes, especially carpets that will wrap around the hook, it can help to hook them out, let the get comfortable on the hook and then make their way along to explore. All the snakes I've used this technique with have come along the hook onto my arm and been able to explore in their own time.
Good luck

I use the hook to pick him up and then allow him to slide up on to my arm as he feels safe,
thinking that he will get use to this procedure and the smell of me, and maybe realize I'm not food lol
so far this is working but I fully expect to get bitten sooner or latter.
After all I would freak a bit if a animal a couple of hundred times my size wanted to play with me lol.
Remember Fear Is Normal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back