Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitch_89

Reaction score
I have been looking around since asking if anyone had a prefernce in lizards to keep and i have found a few i like but cannot work out if i am aloud to keep them...

Eastern two lined dragon - Diporiphora australis

Tawny Dragon - Ctenophorus decresii

Mulga Dragon - Caimanops ampbiboluroides

Ring tailed Dragon

Military Dragon - Ctenophorus isolepis... <<< ---- (Best looking dragon in australia)

Could anyone tell me if we can keep any of these in australia, if so i would lyk to know who has them as well...

Each state and territory has their own rules. What state are you in?

thanks

i live in NSW... i forgot to add that.... umm i got my license a month ago and only have a spotted velvet gecko but i want a dragon and lyk the ones i mentioned before...

They arent the most common species to find for sale. And probably not the easiest to find info on how to look after them either. Central netted dragons are probably better.

I checked your list against the NSW species list. If the species you listed are the only ones that you are interested in and you only got your licence a month ago, your choice is easy. Diporiphora australis appears to be the only one you can keep in NSW on a basic licence.

Eastern two lined dragon - Diporiphora australis - R1 Basic Reptile Licence
Tawny Dragon - Ctenophorus decresii - R2 Advanced Reptile Non Venemous Licence
Mulga Dragon - Caimanops ampbiboluroides - Not listed
Ring tailed Dragon - Not listed
Military Dragon - Ctenophorus isolepis - R2 Advanced Reptile Non Venemous Licence

i live in NSW... i forgot to add that.... umm i got my license a month ago ...QUOTE]

I suggest you just look at Bearded Dragons (Pogona sp.), Jacky Dragons (Amphibolurus muricatus), Mountain Dragons (Rankinia diemensis..one of my favs :) ), or Central Netteds (Ctenophorus nuchalis). Many of the smaller type, colourful dragons arn't being kept and bred in big numbers, many have very short lives, and /or don't produce high numbers of offspring, and are hard to cater for due to large enclosure or feeding / heating requirements, also, most are rather expensive when they do come up for sale.

JasonL's right beardies and netteds are the best especially for people that havn't kept reptiles for long. If you want the small dragons then netteds and pygmy beardies are the best.

Smaller dragons arnt that expensive ive seen tawnys and painted hatchies go for 70 bucks. I picked up my breeding pair of tawnys 3 or 4 years ago for $200

thanks all.....

Thanks for all that so now who wants to sell me a pygmie beared haha.... and i forgot who but someone said they had tawny's i would probably buy one if u were selling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back