I think I might have my ambitions mixed up with my capabilities

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i totally agree, i sucked at painting in yr 12, i am the same as you, creative but not heaps artistic

My rates a quite reasonable (jokes) :p
nah, just start as you and jax said in the "deepest" parts, and just start with dark colors and lighten them up a bit, it isn't exactly rocket science and a bit easier than you might first have thought.

Just remember, you can paint over it :p, so you don't have much to loose. i love your background concept tho, very well planned (i just randomly broke off foam with a knife and liquid nailed it on).

Hmmm i see your in sa to.... mite have to get a quote for the painting LMAO
and about the design... i stole it from here mine will never ever look as good but i used it as an example. This one was built by a prop artist so i can not compete but i thought it was beautiful and different. there r some photos of my first rockwall in my album... this is just my second attempt. I figure if i dont like it i can always sell it, make enough cash to make a new one lol

So i put in some darker grout lines with a slightly darker shade of render.... but the rest mite have to wait til next week, coz money is again tight and i need to buy some bigger bottles of paint, i dont think those tiny little tubes my cheap shop sell will be enough to do all of this( ideas on colours to chose would be helpful from the painting experts lol) thinking spotlight mite be the place to look for paints ?????
rockwall2 023.jpgrockwall2 024.jpg

I have a question- i left the shelf with a dip in it so i could remove the tile on the basking spot for easier cleaning. im wondering if it will be safe to do a mosaic of broken slate tiles.... gaps filled with render then sealed like the rest with pondtite. Do you think that would work? would it be safe coz the slate would get and stay hot. I think the slate would look all aged and match and im a cheapskate and dont want to have to pay for a piece cut to the right size lol​

Last edited:
How do you 'steal' a design for random rock LOL, inspiration can come from anywhere, anytime. inspiration for an upcoming project came while i was walking around the local shopping centre last year - its was an instore promo banner so i arranged to have the banner once the promo was over, and no i'm not telling you what the promo was otherwise it will spoil the surprise when i post pics, lets just say it will be like nothing seen on here before ! :)

Rather than sell work you dont like, just repaint it a base colour and start the dry brushing again.

Try looking in Kmart in the toy/art section, they do the larger bottles, good idea for colours like black brown and white, that you use lots of and often

next time go to the tile place and suss out their odds and ends, they're generally cheap as, and work around that. so much easier.

I hope you have allowed a way for the heat to escape from under the slate other than just via convection thru the slate if you are using a heat cord. If the heat cant escape you could have a problem !

Last edited:
you have me very interested in what your working on. i cant wait for the unveiling lol

I have been thinking about something ice age ish but im not sure im that im capable enough for that.... mite have to start watching some documentaries/ kids movies lol

no i havent left a way for heat to escape from under the slate, i was planning on using a light above the ledge bit... will that be ok??????

i love your background concept tho, very well planned (i just randomly broke off foam with a knife and liquid nailed it on).

You'll love mine then, i swear i'm borderline OCD. it took me a week to work out where to place each piece, and each piece has its place. LMAO

the above mentioned inspiration is not the one i'm working on now, after this I have a small project (desert theme, nice and quick) for someone else to do and then the "promo' one will get started...... I'm glad i'm patient, im hanging to get into the 'promo' one, it will be fun. here's a hint, it wont have any rocks but it will have stone ROFL

heating the slate/tile from above you should be fine. just double check the temp of the slate after the lights been on it for 5 hours.

Last edited:
stone Hmmmm- flintstones and rolling stones r the only thing that come to mind LMAO

Lucky about the tile.... you had me worried for a minute. I thought i had considered almost everything LMAO then i remembered i forgot branches lol.... lucky i can add them later

Last edited:
both guesses are wrong :p

there is always something that gets 'forgotten' i have forgotten about vents before. I had all foam work attached, luckily not painted

Last edited:
sounds like we all have problem with vents!!!!
your background is looks great!!! and Jax i think you should change your idea to flintstones that would be hilarious! any think to do with a castle?
another hint maybe???:D

i forot vents with the last one and had to drill holes somewere i really didnt want to lol

i thought of a castle to .... r we getting close Jax

but you learn for your mistakes,
and once you get it painted and branches in etc i think you tank is going to look awesome ay, its defiantly coming alone nicely.

but you learn for your mistakes,
and once you get it painted and branches in etc i think you tank is going to look awesome ay, its defiantly coming alone nicely.

hopefully it will lol- atleast you can see how its going to look lol.... i showed some family and they seem a bit perplexed

i'm sure it will look awesome, people cant see what you see in your head ! thats why to them it always looks just like a heap of foam chunks covered in cement :) dont let it knock your confidence, I've almost half way through painting this one (downside of large enclosures, they cant be drybrushed overnight) and my fella still cant see what its going to turn out like !

PS, you're still wrong with the castle theme. you might just have to wait :p. I havent seen another enclosure in my chosen theme

I got it....... Volcano??????

i tried to do a little bit of painting with what i had and im even more worried now lol

It always look like clown make up gone wrong before it looks good, follow Tregs pictorial. It looked pretty volatile until the last few coats, and no, it's not a volcano LOL

I mite think about the volcano for my teen sons room lol..... but how to do the lava LMAO

I just tried to do a rock im scared to go as heavy handed as him, i have been staring at his thread all day over thinking it all :rolleyes:

:) it does get subdued when the "ink water" goes on. Promise. Grab an old cereal box, turn it inside out. Throw your colours on there like you did in the enclosure, then finish with the ink water, you'll be surprised at the difference it makes. And the grey cardboard mimics grey render nicely.

* note to self - make mini volcano to show how to do lava PMSL

You'll love mine then, i swear i'm borderline OCD. it took me a week to work out where to place each piece, and each piece has its place. LMAO

HELL, i spent 45 minutes and 3 tubes of liquid nails

I just tried to do a rock im scared to go as heavy handed as him, i have been staring at his thread all day over thinking it all :rolleyes:

i am honored to think that someone is actually using my thread, as jax said thou, you be surprised at what some black ink will do.
i think my next project will have to be some ruins. that was what i spent a lot of time doing in warhammer, ruined cities, so i think i will give it a shot

P.s jax, is it stone hedge??? :)

Nah not stone hedge LOL or even Stonehenge :p but there was talk of one a while ago with Dipcdame from here. And all the guesses are so "stone cold" it's not funny

I'd better live up to expectations it sounds like I have a painting pro to compete with, and this is my first total background, others have only been bits and pieces, and I've never been known to take the easy way out, so this current enclosure is not small. The war is on by the sounds of it, I can see this going on for years ROFL

Hey 1woma, post a pic here and i'm sure you'll get an honest opinion as to whether you are on the right track with your drybrushing. I know how you feel, i paniced when i did my first piece, but kept telling myself i was doing everything right according to what i had read. and i was impressed when it was all finished and in place.

It isn't really a war when it is all one sided:p (jokes)
can't wait to see you project

I love a confident man, its so much more satisfying when they fall flat on their face :p and I LOVE a challenge :lol:

just to be clear with the guessing games, the guessing is for a FUTURE enclosure, (fingers crossed it will be started in the next couple of months) once this one is done (there are a few of this theme floating around) I have a quick one to do for a friend ( thankfully small and a desert theme) and then the mystery enclosure will get started.

this is all very 'secret squirrel' isnt it :p :lol: I might have to do a discussion in the group with random parts of pics just to see what sort of twisted minds we have on APS........ no wait, i'm probably the most twisted one here so it wouldn't be anywhere near as much fun ROFL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back