I think I'm going to loose one of my Gippies

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KaotikJezta

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Plotting world domination from the depths of Hellb
I have 2 Gippsland water dragon juvies. One of them was the smallest in the clutch. He has always been the most active and always eaten well but he hasn't really grown very much. The other one is about 3 times his size. There is no aggression between them at all and lately I have been feeding the little one separately ust to make sure he gets his fill as the other one can eat a lot more in a short amount of time. Well, the last couple of days he has been really dopey, not at all active and his eyes are droopy. I really don't want to loose him but I am thinking that this and the fact he has barely grown may indicate some kind of underlying problem he may have had since hatching. Any ideas or experience with this happening would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.:(

Is he getting enough calcium and uv ? i dont know much about them but thats the first thing i would check .

cheers
Nico

Make sure the bigger one isn't dominating him in the tank either - taking the best heat/uv basking spots etc that will be causing him to lag behind. Runts tend to get domintated pretty quickly and will fall behind the others just as quick which compounds the problem.

If it was me I would be putting them in seperate tanks, both to make sure he is getting the best of everything and to also protect the other one if he is getting sick or has an underlying issue that he could pass on.

Thanks guys, just spoke to the breeder and will be separating them and seeing what happens. I haven't seen the big one acting dominating but I don't watch them 24/7 so it is possible.

Well, just checked on him after putting him in a hospital tank and he is dead, so angry, he was my favourite.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back