I think my snake is really sick.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Goodluck, i hope she can be saved! That video bought tears to my eyes, so i can imagine how u feel!

Last edited:
Thanks Bek I really feel terrible, especially because this could be our fault, a stupid stupid mistake. But waking up this morning to see my little boy sitting staring at his snake was heartbreaking, he thinks he has passed his epilepsy onto his snake. I have assured him this is not the case but he just doesn't understand. Hopefully a vet can save her.

I can't wait to see the outcome! I hope everything is going to be ok

:( ur poor son, it must be so hard for him to see! As i said previously, i really do hope the vet can 'work some magic' & help ur girl make a fast recovery, for all ur sakes! For those that made the negative comments towards u, dont take it personally, some people just know everything! :rolleyes: U didnt intentionally do anything to harm ur snake, & i dont believe that for a second, u were quite possibly mis-informed about the heat, but in all fairness, this is not ur fault!

Hope he gets better.

And all you people saying "why film it first"
She said she was planning to take it to a vet the next day. She just wanted opinions in the meantime.

Good luck with everything I personally get tired of keyboard warriors on this site I will be thinking hard when my renewal comes around for this site...

So perhaps it wasn't the best course of action, but they're trying now...

Negative feedback can't change what's done, but encouragement can aid the future...

I also think "it's not what ya say, but you how say it" is important here...yes coming to a forum instead of a vet wasn't the best idea, but sometimes it can be said nicer and with more empathy when they are trying...she couldve just said "oh well" and not worried at all.
I agree. Snake owners are a many varied bunch with people at all sorts of levels of experience. You can't criticise someone for their level of experience, more experience or not, no one is perfect, not even the people who make negative, unhelpful or criticizing comments. Sinderella came here to us for help not hindrance.

I hope your snake will be ok, let us know how everything turns out

Do not get on here when there is an animal in seriouse need and a concered owner and put them down. I happen to watch the temps on the internet of the native area for my snakes and base my enclose temps of the average for that quarter from the year befor. I dont know if you are all aware of this but it does get colder than 20*c in the night in qld. so i cant see how the temps being in the low 20s could have caused this. In saying that, the outside temp do occasionaly sit 5*c-8*c below what the animal is use to and i dont find dead pythons everywhere.

Do not get on here when there is an animal in seriouse need and a concered owner and put them down. I happen to watch the temps on the internet of the native area for my snakes and base my enclose temps of the average for that quarter from the year befor. I dont know if you are all aware of this but it does get colder than 20*c in the night in qld. so i cant see how the temps being in the low 20s could have caused this. In saying that, the outside temp do occasionaly sit 5*c-8*c below what the animal is use to and i dont find dead pythons everywhere.

Air temp and the temp 30cm underground vary a lot, in the wild snakes utilise this to thermoregulate themselves, it is a lot harder for them to do this when stuck in a box

Hope Monty is ok,also hope your son is doing ok too.Small tip for you would be to a get dual-probe digital thermometer,you can get them reasonably cheap,$14 up to ??, but only takes a 2 secs to check.

Sinderella, I hope you have had some good news, you poor thing what an awful experience to go through :(
I too would be heartbroken if it were one of my animals. Perfectly reasonable and understandable to take the action you did as well given the circumstances.
Please do let us know how poor Monty is.

i really hope monty is ok! i am an epileptic and its a lonely world for us, restricted by so much and having the stigma, employment etc etc. When i got Yoda and Keiko my life changed, they give you a reason to wake up and a reason to be happy. Friends like a snake or lizard are different, they cant harm you not like humans can which has been well displayed in this thread.

For your sons sake and your sanity i really hope theres nothing the vet can't do for you, and feel free to PM me anytime

I hope she is ok!!! perhaps a sticky or something can be made for vets in different areas/states so people can go to it and find the help they need?!?! (just found it!! can anyone add to this list for QLD?!?! Not many on it!)
I have talked to my local vet (in Beerwah QLD) and they dont "do snakes!!!". So i have been trying to find a vet in my area just to be on the safe side for when my girl gets here!
But it is hard to find a good vet even when you have lived in an area for years!!
I have my fingers and toes all x'd 4 you!!!!

Last edited:
I would like to start off with I hope the snake is ok.
Obviously mods saw my posts as being inflammatory, as they removed them.
I am not a keyboard warrier, the point I was trying to put across, was that there was expert help available to them (five veterinary clinics open, with two being staffed by vets with reptile experience), but they chose to go on a forum, they said it takes about 20 mins to upload a video to utube, why not use that time to google emergency vets.
I was not trying to put anyone down and truly hope the snake is ok, I just get frustrated when there is help out there but people choose not to take it.
I apologise for my harsh words, but someone needs to be the animals advocate.
As far as your son having epilepsy, hopefully it's stable - my good friend has epilepsy but she has good control of it and holds down a full time job, she drives (not suppose to though lol) but yes she struggled when she was younger so I could only imagine what it's like as an parent.

Hi everyone, Thanks so much for all you tips and concern and support with Monty. Unfortunately I still do not have an answer as to what is wrong with her. She is at the vets and has had numerous blood tests done today, I have been waiting for the results and the vet (Debra) just called me. Monty has a slight infection but nothing that should cause the behavior that she is demonstrating, Debra is still waiting on results of a meningitis test (I didnt even know that snakes could get meningitis) She is unsure if she is able to save Monty or not, but she is trying to. She is starting her on a course of antibiotics and has put a tube down her to give her a good dose of electrolytes. Monty is in good hands at the moment and getting the care that she needs, I will know more in the morning when Debra calls me, I hate this waiting game but I will let you know how we go with her tomorrow.

Phantomreptiles, I know you don't know me or the full story of how I came to be posting a video and a post here. As I said we are relatively new to QLD I know no one here. I tried to find a vet to help me but was palmed from one to the other no one knowing where I could go, I was even told to call a pet shop by one of them. I was so desperate to get help and was extremely frustrated and I didn't know what to do. In my googling I can across Aussie Pythons and Snakes, I have never been on here before, I joined in desperation to get some one to give me some help (this is how I found the vet that I took Monty to) I joined in on someone else's forum and they asked me to uploaded the video to show Montys behavior, I then posted my own forum to get more advise.
I am a huge animal advocate I wanted and needed help, which I thankfully got, so I dont regret my actions here. Sometimes it pays to find out the full story.

As I said good luck, and yes sometimes it does pay to find out the whole story.
I also stand by my comments, google "emergency vets brisbane" help was there. Anyway they would of transferred him the next morning to where your "Monty" is now. So at the best place.
I know how hard it can be moving to a new area you are unfamiliar with, but luckily in this day and age we have google.....
I am sure you are doing everything you can for Monty and perhaps not having human children I don't understand how much time they take, as all my time goes on my pets, which are my children:)
This was never to be a direct attack on you, i have just had fustrating week of people not bothering to rate their pets any higher than a lump of dirt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back