I think my snake is really sick.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That really great news, so glad she is looking to be on the mend! Ur son must be so happy! I hope things continue to get better, & when the time comes to feed again she takes it without a problem for u! All the best, Belinda:)

that is really good news mate. so happy for your son to hear it. Sounds like the poor fella has already been through enough without loosing his slithery friend. I wish monty the best.

Congrats, here's to a continued recovery :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep your chin up, I think you have done well to put up with all the crap from the know-it-alls on this forum!! Some people need to stop and think about how they would be feeling if it was their (or their children's) pet that was in such dire straights.
If that had have been my wife (who is also scared of snakes to an extent) and recieved the rubbish replies you did, she would have said stick the forum up your bottom!!!!! (surely I cant get sensored for that??)

I truly hope your snake is on the mend, I have had snakes with what was called "star-gazers" before and they never made it through, however there was never as many reptile vets back then. I bet Deb gets a box of chocolates at christmas though. Keep her number, if she has done as well as the posts make out, she must be a handy vet.

You are a credit to the herping family, if only there were more people with your compassion and willingness to listen we would have a stronger and more appreciated hobby.

To those individuals that immediately went on the attack.... wake up to yourselves.... ever thought how valuable that footage is for newbies???? Don't you remember when you 1st started????

It makes me sick to stomach when someone comes on here looking for advice and help and all some people can do is flame them because they are experts....yeah right!!!!![/B]

BTW, as you can tell I don't know how to use font sizing etc, forgive my ignorance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I totally agree Garthy, ive been wondering myself why the different 'rules' for newbies & the 'experts'.......im seeing more & more people be told not to start a new thread about topics that have been covered before.......& imo i find this to be quite rude! Some of these 'searchable' threads are 100 pages long, what is the harm in asking something again, when there are so many different opinions the answers often change from thread to thread, & if u dont want to answer again, simply dont, others will! Im only new here myself, but i have seen the 'experts' post some pretty useless stuff also, & no1 seems to say anything to them! I have enjoyed talking to many people on here, new & old, but there are also some people that just.....annoy the crap outta me......they usually target the newbies & then throw all their 'expert' knowledge around sounding like complete jerks most of the time! Its great if u know everything, but would it hurt to be polite to those of us that dont?

This place gets worse then a kindy room sometimes!

I'm often accused of being a 'know it all,' and I've been watching this thread for a day or two... I'm not tolerant of fools, but I see no evidence of foolishness in what sinderella wrote in her quest for assistance. I have to say that my first reaction would NOT have been to flame sinderella, but to advise her that the prospects weren't good... However, it's certainly a testament to her perseverence that things are looking far better for the animal concerned, and I'm not underestimating the value of what sounds like very intuitive vet care either. Hopefully the progress continues and my own intuition is proved wrong :)

As for the abuse re: taking the video, I would say that it's a great way to get immediate advice from those willing to help (even though she got lots of advice from those who weren't helpful as well). Most of the latter would be from members who have little knowledge but just need to make self righteous noise.

Keep us posted sinderella

Jamie

+1. Am assuming each time I check that no news is good news.

Cheers,
Blue

Hi all,

Thanks everyone for your kind words and support.

Sorry I haven't updated for a while, Nicholas broke his toe last week by stubbing it on the footpath so I have been extra busy with him.

Monty was looking good but she seems to have plateaued, she is still having injections every 3 days and will continue to do so for another week.
Deb thinks it is looking unlikely that she will recover fully. Her head is tilted to the left all the time now. She still loses her balance but it able to regain it much faster than she could when she first got sick.

Deb said to wait a week after the last injection and then try to feed her, if she eats then we will be taught how to look after a snake with quote 'special needs'. If she is unable to eat then unfortunately there is nothing else the vet can do for her. I feel so sorry for her and I'm really worried that the outcome will not be good.

It's still a waiting game. Not fun.

Last edited:
Sinderella,

A wait like this is horrible, I agree. How is your son taking it? Whatever happens, no one can fault you for your efforts. I think you aren't all that fond of snakes, so good on you twice over for jumping in there and doing everything you can.

Get well to both Monty and Nicholas.

Hello to everyone,

I want to thank everyone for their help and support regarding Monty. When Deb saw her today for her injection, she was not happy how fast Monty had deteriorated this past week. Deb has done every thing possible to help Monty and Monty has put up a really good fight, but unfortunately that fight came to an end today.

We will tell Nicholas when my husband gets home from work, I know this is going to break his heart, it's not going to be a nice night.

I want everyone to know that I received a very sincere apology for things that were said to me earlier on in the post, followed by support. I hold no ill feelings towards anyone, and I am grateful for the help and advice I received. I made a naive stupid mistake with our snake and she paid the price.

Sinderella

I am so sorry to hear that it ended this way. I have been watching this thread, and my thoughts have been with you and your family. In my opinion you could not have taken her to a better vet and you did everything you could for her.

I hope that this experience has not put you off herps and when the time is right, you and your family consider another, though, understandably this may not be for a very long while.

So sorry to hear of your loss after all you've been through.
Thoughts with you and your family.

That is such a shame. It seemed like Monty was going to defy the odds for a while there. She is no longer suffering, but that probably won't help your son for the moment.

All my best wishes to you and your family, especially to Nicholas.

:cry: Im so sorry that Monty's fight came to end in this way. IMO you done everything you could have done, dont beat yourself up, unfortunately these things do happen. I hope your son recovers from his loss & that he knows his mum & dad done all they could. I imagine your night was a sad one, i hope today brings you & your family nicer things.

Hi sinderella, very sorry to hear that news... I note you wrote this in your last post:

"I made a naive stupid mistake with our snake and she paid the price."

I don't think you should be that hard on yourself. We sometimes forget that everything live eventually dies, sometimes sooner than we anticipate, and often despite all we do to keep them alive, and it's never easy, even when your pet is old and that day is expected. It's just part of the normal cycle of things...

My advice to anyone who loses a pet and is in a position to replace it, is to get another one to give the grieving owner a new focus. This naturally doesn't replace to lost pet (as a dog owner for 40+years I've been through some very tough timeswith my animals...) but the new focus helps develop the understanding that, for the most part, pet keeping is cyclic for long-lived humans. (I've overcome that somewhat by owning macaws, which will outlive me by 30-40 years:))

I hope you find a new routine and that your son settles as quickly as possible...

Jamie

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back