I would like to colect money for one of our admins.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
guess its a bit like the boss coming down and saying that everyone has to do genes for jeans day on aug 6th, you MUST wear jeans and bring $5 to donate.....

well..........
nah its getting a bit tooooo serious

If you don't want to donate, don't donate. Why put a negative spin on something nice some members of the site want to do? Why say anything?

Just don't know what the point is being negative about this. :?

Be happy :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Lots of smilies for you.

Okay, I'll go back in the corner now and mutter to myself :p

Greg said:
If I cough up some dosh for this fundraiser, does it entitle me to say whatever I want on this site without being censored?
Being as it's a privately owned and run site, should the owner not finance this gift to an Admin?
I'm not trying to cause trouble here, not at all, but it seems hypocritical to espouse the site as privately owned and run yet ask for financial aid for a gift for an Admin.
I supported the sponsoring of the Roughy at the ARP and realise that it was for an outside cause, but I can't get my head around this.
Again, I state, I'm not saying this to cause or start any trouble, it's just my thoughts on the matter.

Greg.

I am reading Gregs post again and again and I do see the logick of his thinking.
I will concider his sugestion to have this site completely privite and that way I will be able to pay to mods and admins some award.
To do this I would have to charge joining fee to members.
I red the response of people in this thread and looks like that is the way you would like to go. I will discuse that obtion with other people involved.
If you peole sugest that I should pick up another cost as rewards to admins, that would be only way to doit.
Mabe that way we will have as members only people who really appreciate our work.

Sorry Slatey, but charging will kill this site, you are up against other site that don't charge so that is where most of the members will go to.
I am also bewildered as to why you are giving weight to Gregs statement giving the quality of his posts.

Sorry Slatey, but charging will kill this site, you are up against other site that don't charge so that is where most of the members will go to.
That's exactly right Fuscus, most ppl are here because it's free and the amount of ppl that are on here. There are few other sites around that would love to pick up all your lost members Jan. Also when you consider there isn't one other reptile site(that I know) that will charge you for being a member, you are up against great odds. How many ppl do you think are that loyal that they would pay to stay here and not go elsewhere?

Hear hear popp couldnt of put it better myself.
I was trying to think of a way to get the point across without it being misconstrued but you summed it up in one.
My thoughts exaclty.

Just trying to help Greg get his point across, we're all entiltled to an opinion and I can understand Greg's from what happened last time.

Dear all,

Here is why I choose to donate, This site has helped me so many times, not the least of which was when it helped me find a method that recaptured my missing young Jungle.

I am lucky that Slateman is prepared for whatever reason to operate this site, however this site is great because of the imput you all have to it.

I appreciate that by coming to this site I can hear from people who can educate me about keeping my pythons safely and healthily without having to read countless books to find the info myself which would cost me a lot of time that I dont have.

Therefore I was grateful to be able to show my appreciation to someone who volunteers to keep this site functioning. Having said that I dont think anybody should feel wrong if they choose not to donate because they dont want to or they cant afford to.

I wasnt around when debate about the sites ownership or somebodies past life behavour was an issue and I really couldn't care either I just wanted to say thanks.

If I wanted to be controversial I'd quote the old line....."you dont know what you've got till it's gone'......but I wont.

Perhaps posting the amounts was in hindsight a mistake (and I was a bit embarrassed if people thought I was trying to outdo people by giving $25 but I made the donation before the first list was posted so that wasnt the case), but I understand Slateman was trying to do something nice and hindsight is always 20:20.

I just want this sight to exist.

Slateman said:
Greg said:
If I cough up some dosh for this fundraiser, does it entitle me to say whatever I want on this site without being censored?
Being as it's a privately owned and run site, should the owner not finance this gift to an Admin?
I'm not trying to cause trouble here, not at all, but it seems hypocritical to espouse the site as privately owned and run yet ask for financial aid for a gift for an Admin.
I supported the sponsoring of the Roughy at the ARP and realise that it was for an outside cause, but I can't get my head around this.
Again, I state, I'm not saying this to cause or start any trouble, it's just my thoughts on the matter.

Greg.

I am reading Gregs post again and again and I do see the logick of his thinking.
I will concider his sugestion to have this site completely privite and that way I will be able to pay to mods and admins some award.
I red the response of people in this thread and looks like that is the way you would like to go. I will discuse that obtion with other people involved.
If you peole sugest that I should pick up another cost as rewards to admins, that would be only way to doit.
Mabe that way we will have as members only people who really appreciate our work.

but charging a joining fee....doesn't this go agaisnt everything you were saying about paying for pet licence's?? what i mean is how is this different?

michaelh said:
I am lucky that Slateman is prepared for whatever reason to operate this site, however this site is great because of the imput you all have to it.

I appreciate that by coming to this site I can hear from people who can educate me about keeping my pythons safely and healthily without having to read countless books to find the info myself which would cost me a lot of time that I dont have.

Therefore I was grateful to be able to show my appreciation to someone who volunteers to keep this site functioning. Having said that I dont think anybody should feel wrong if they choose not to donate because they dont want to or they cant afford to.

Well said Micheal. I think everyone here who has been helped by this site can agree to that. Without it, and it's members, I would have been making a lot of unecessary vet trips :wink:

Slateman said:

Now Im confused.I didn't read Greg suggesting any of that.

Slateman wrote:

Now Im confused.I didn't read Greg suggesting any of that

Well if people think Slateman should pay his support staff how else would he do it????????????????????????

I think the entire gist of what Greg was saying is that this site is a "privately run site" and if the powers that be want to do something nice for a "volunteer" then that is their perogative.

If volunteers start getting renumerated for the time and effort that they put in then they wouldn't be volunteers anymore.

Well as usual my comments have been misconstrued into something sinister.
There's been no personal attacks, there's been no conspiracy to undermine the ownership of the site or to turn it into a pay site. All I said was that I couldn't understand why Jan would ask for donations from people to pay for a present for an Admin that is doing this work voluntarily on Jan's personally owned site. There was nothing untoward meant in my comments, just a simple query.
As far as donations go, I was one of the first if not THE first to donate $50 to the ARP sponsorship deal we had here.
People should just read these threads and try to understand what's been said. Not jump straight to a conclusion just because it's me that posted it.

Fuscus said:
I am also bewildered as to why you are giving weight to Gregs statement giving the quality of his posts.

This is comical coming from the Google King that just posts links to news threads.

Anyway, I'm not knocking people donating. Good on ya's.
I still can't get my head around it though.

Cheers, Gregory.

Ramsayi said:
I think the entire gist of what Greg was saying is that this site is a "privately run site" and if the powers that be want to do something nice for a "volunteer" then that is their perogative.

If volunteers start getting renumerated for the time and effort that they put in then they wouldn't be volunteers anymore.

Yes, technically, but no one said this was compulsory, do if you want to, or don't if you don't.

all this pointless discussion is going to sour the 'thankyou' gift to the person.

Why can't it just be left at that, a 'thankyou' gift from some of us here. In one workplace I worked at, us and the boss chipped in to buy the manager a gift for all his extra hard work for us.

there's nothing wrong with it, why something that starts off as a nice idea have to turn into such a contraversey??? :?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back