IBD Test

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

longqi

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Seems that in Europe a new IBD test has just been released

Reports say it test the blood and has no ill affect on the snake
This test is NOT like the present ones that test liver etc post mortem

Have you got a link to this, please, Longqi? Good news if it's reliable

Sorry no link yet
Hopefully will have more information in a few days
Has only just been released
First mentioned on a German website I think

Last edited:
Thanks Longqi.

Have you got a link to this, please, Longqi? Good news if it's reliable

I just reread this sentence and realised it might not come across as I meant it. I meant that it's good news if the test is reliable.

Unfortunately a blood test can only show that the inclusion bodies are not present in the blood, while they can still be present and undetected elsewhere; so, it cannot definitively indicate the animal is free of the disease.

I'm pretty sure that us Aussies are one up on that with the main researcher of reptile diseases here being a Professor at Perth/WA uni and he's working on a test were only a cheek swab is needed with results being available within only a few minutes.
Not fully read up on IBD but isn't IBD the disease caused by OMPV much like AIDS is the disease caused by HIV?
If so I'm pretty sure that resently this same researcher wrote a paper claiming that there has been no confirmed outbreaks of OMPV in collections in Australia and the previously 2 confirmed out breaks (Sydney Zoo and Perth Zoo) were actually another virus.
One thing that can be said is it is used far too much by competitors in this hobby to muddy the oppositions name. The funniest one I heard was that Snake Ranch had it and that's why Australian Reptile Park was burnt down. Now apart from John Weigel being the common denominator in both business' did Snake Ranch even breed any of their stock at the Aussie Reptile Park????? And this accusation came from one of the major shops in Adelaide.
Can I just state that I don't believe Snake Ranch has had OMPV and makes you think what's being hidden by these people to try and pull that one.
Someone once told me that for every finger that you point at someone that at least 3 more point back at you!!!

My understanding of the tests being developed to test for IBD is based on the antigenically unique 68-kd protein that exists in IBD inclusions. By sequencing the 68-kd protein they are working towards an immune based blood screening. The last that I read about this, and other testing protocol, was that they were under going validation testing to determine the sensitivity and specificity of these testing protocols. I would imagine it is only a matter if time until they have finalised these tests and a widespread diagnostic tool will be available. Like all scientific advances this is dependent on funding models.

Regards

Wing_Nut

In the scientific community it has been published that IBD is possibly caused by a unique arenavirus with a protein coating, similar to the Ebola virus. The exact cause however is still not known and is still subject to further qualification, however the results from this research is very interesting reading.

Identification, Characterization, and In Vitro Culture of Highly Divergent Arenaviruses from Boa Constrictors and Annulated Tree Boas: Candidate Etiological Agents for Snake Inclusion Body Disease

Regards

Wing_Nut

Thanks Wing-Nut. Haven't read article yet but will do.
When I stated that it came from a Retroviridae that was just what my troupe of beardies typed out ;) of the BSVA manual of reptiles but the copy I have is almost 10 years old so it is logical there has been some advancement.
Now in fear of being shot down but is the Arenaviridae a species (for want of the correct terminology, been too long since my beardies have taken their uni courses and then they only brushed on it for about a term as part of Ag degree so knowledge can be very general) of Retroviridae???
Isn't the name Retrovirdae referring to a group of virus with similar structure and activity (meaning mechanisms of infection and reproduction)??? Or is the Arenaviridae another group all together?????
As far as the swab test, me and the beardies have concurred that with a quick look and my shot memory that it was for oPMV and if them beardies get this wrong then back to school for them!!!

Dr Elliott Jacobson is one of the pioneers of this test his research on IBD goes back well over a decade. He's based at the university of Florida's college of veterinary medicine. For more information on his research and any questions you can contact him at [email protected]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back