ID of two Cacophis

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alexandra_mohr

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi,

can you please help me? Which Cacophis subspecies are theese two snakes exactly?
Are this two different subspecies?
We found it in the Border Range NP...

Cacophis1(2).JPG Cacophis2-(3).jpg

Thank you,
Alexandra

They're Golden-crown snakes, Cacophis squamulosus. Easily identified because the two ends of the crown don't meet across the nape like in the other species.
I think you're getting your terms mixed up. These are both members of a species which doesn't have any subspecies. Perhaps this might be a worth while read: Taxonomic rank - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks for your identification.
Sorry, perhaps I didn't used the correct words because I'm German and I don't speak English very well...
:lol:

Given how difficult and irregular the English is, I think you do an excellent job of conveying your needs. Which, by the way, we are more happy to help you with as best we can.

I can understand why you might feel this species is possibly divided up into subspecies. It is somewhat variable in colour. The crown, in particular, can vary in colour from a dirt brown through to yellowish brown through to a golden yellow or even white in particular individuals. The extent of the crown also varies, from two or three scales wide to five or six scales. It can extend from just past the eyes to well down the nape of the neck.

The diagnostic difference between it and its co-genitors, as mentioned, is that the crown does NOT cross the nape of the neck and join up. There are other variations but I shall leave it at that unless you want more information.

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back