ID please - Brisbane

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Becceles

Hi everyone,

A friend posted this up on facebook, found near her house in Brisbane. I was just looking for a correct identification of it. It's the only photo she posted.

Thanks,
Bec

View attachment 289372

I'm not sure if the photo posted or not...

Attachments

• 58186_10151614421996963_1062092346_n.jpg
    58186_10151614421996963_1062092346_n.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 369
Its a Golden Crowned Snake.

Sent from my XT925 using Tapatalk 2

Why is its tail tied up ? And without seeing the head it's hard to say, but I guess a small eyed is a reasonable way o go

I don't think the tail is tied up, it just looks like some bark or a stick. Its definitely a Golden Crowned Snake, not a Small Eyed.

Sent from my XT925 using Tapatalk 2

definetly not a small eyed snake, quite easy to point that out by the underside shape of head and typical patterned golden crowned under belly scales.

It is unquestionably a Golden-crowned Snake (Cacophis squamulosus) – given the ventral markings, colour and subcaudals.

Both the Golden-crowned and Small-eyed Snakes usually have pinkish ventral colouration. Small-eyed Snakes occasionally exhibit dark ventral markings – either black blotches along the scales or streaks. However, these lack the arrangement and consistency of the dark mid-ventral blotches characteristic of Golden-crowned Snakes. Small-eyed have all subcaudal scales single while those of the Golden-crown are all divided, as can be seen in the photo.

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back