Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

braids

Not so new Member
Reaction score
What is this one called?
ca514584-c390-cfd4.jpg

Looks like a Bynoe's (but I'm most likely wrong)
Was gonna say Phyllurus sp. but the tail is too thin

That one I'm pretty sure is called 'Keith'

Its pattern and shape are consistent with that of a Beaked Gecko (Rhyncoedura ornata), however its range is slightly further East than I would expect for one of those. I certainly is not a Bynoes Gecko, nor a Leseurs Velvet.

Another option that could look similar to a Beaked Gecko is a species of Lucasium, however its pattern looks inconsistent with what I would expect from a Lucasium. Not that that picture is the best for ID.

I conclusion I am relatively happy but not entirely positive the gecko in question is a Beaked Gecko (Rhyncoedura ornata).

Tessellated Gecko (Diplodactylus tessellatus).

It makes it difficult, if not impossible, to give a positive ID on something when you have only one angle or aspect and it is out of focus. So that represents my best guess.

Blue

I'll stick with Bynoe's till someone can come up with something more likely. Tesselated, maybe but not beaked.

It is most definitely not a Bynoes and I find it extremely unlikely it is Tessellated or any Diplodactylus. I see no other Lucasium that it could be.

Why do you say not Beaked?

Oh by the way if you can get good quality photographs including the whole body, a side on view the head and side on view of the whole body, I do believe we could confirm 100% what this is.

I don't know what it is.

What would be good is if people explain what they're basing their judgments on rather than just saying it's not ' that '.

Oh by the way if you can get good quality photographs including the whole body, a side on view the head and side on view of the whole body, I do believe we could confirm 100% what this is.

Agreed.

What would be good is if people explain what they're basing their judgments on rather than just saying it's not ' that '.

Ok here are the relatively possible options.

Bynoes Gecko- Almost always and especially in that part of the range maintains some form of banding, white splodges would not be oval shaped but more roughly edged, does not have smooth skin and general body shape is different.
Tessellated Gecko- Rather similar, tail is usually shorter and thicker, also has small raised scales on the end of tail (which would be past what is visible in this picture), pattern is usually rather bland made of several tones with little to none localized stand out patterning (such as large oval white blotches). It can however have smaller white flecks over parts of its body. Pattern is highly variable in this species, but you can go and look up some pictures this patterning is different.
Lucasium byrnei- The only gecko in this area I am still considering. Casually patterning is similar to a Tessellated but can sometimes have larger splodges or areas of more prominent patterning. The head of this species is relatively rounder than other species listed here.
Rhyncoedura ornata- Range is well away from where this was found. However charecteristic patterning of this species is a series of large white blotches, with other various patterning over body. Head is fairly thin with a sharp beak like snout. Tail shape is very similar to pictured.

Just a guess based on where it was found..marble gecko.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back