ID please

Discussion in 'Reptile and Amphibian Identification' started by Allies_snakes, Jan 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Allies_snakes

Allies_snakes Well-Known Member

Hey, snapped this friendly friend hunting around the dam.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  2. CamdeJong

CamdeJong Well-Known Member

Keelback (Tropidonophis mairii)

3. Allies_snakes

Allies_snakes Well-Known Member

4. jase75

jase75 Well-Known Member

Sent from my XT925 using Tapatalk 2

5. CamdeJong

CamdeJong Well-Known Member

No worries. I should add - these guys are colubrids, they're aglyphous (fangless) and thus non-venomous. Very reluctant to bite, eat mostly frogs and are highly resistant to cane toad poison. This is where they're most commonly seen, near water or along the water's edge foraging. They have a rough feel due to keeled scales and resemble rough-scaled snakes (Tropidechis carinatus) which are highly venomous elapids. Different head shape, pattern etc but easily mistaken I would say to the untrained eye.

6. Bluetongue1

Bluetongue1 Guest

A geographic location should always accompany a request for ID because it can be extremely useful. In your case it would allow us to determine if you might also have the very similar Rough-scaled snake (Tropidechis carinatus) in your region. Not only do they look remarkably similar but they share frog-eating habits and so are often to be found in similar places. It might be worth your while to checkout some pics of a Rough-scaled snake, just in case, and you can see just how similar they look. These are two species that you definitely don’t want to get confused if getting up close and personal.

Blue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.