Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Shouldn't have kept it. Even if you have the legal permit, taking any animal from the wild (not captive bred) and putting it in an enclosure is cruel.

V. gouldii or V. panoptes. What area did you catch it in?

Shouldn't have kept it. Even if you have the legal permit, taking any animal from the wild (not captive bred) and putting it in an enclosure is cruel.
Did he keep it? Naughty!

I didn't keep it bud... I caught it in my neighbours backyard, took it home to show my family. Took some photos to find out what it was, then took it to the park.

I caught it in Springfield lakes, brisbane. I was took by surprise when my neighbour called me saying he has a big lizard in his back yard, I thought it was just going to be a eastern water dragon as that the only lizard around this area, but then when i realised it was a monitor i was like :O And had to get a photo. I never seen one in ipswich/brisbane and I've live here for 10 years haha.

I was kidding. My point being, that you didn't state that you'd kept it.
I'm not by any means knowledgable on Varanus sp., but I know lacies are in that area.
Now I know you didn't say that you didn't release where you found it, but I hope you did.

It is certainly not a lacie. It is either a sand monitor (V. gouldii) or a yellow spotted monitor(V. panoptes). I am leaning more to it being a yellow spotted monitor due to the grey banding under the jaw and on the throat. Sand monitors seem to lack the grey under their mouths. I am sure someone that is better at monitor ID's will comment soon to verify it but it is one of those species.
Cheers Cameron

V gouldii are common in south eastern qld, but I have never heard of V panoptes in that area

I'd go V. panoptes based on that throat patterning and how stocky it is for the size. I've never seen a SE QLD gouldii with any patterning on it's throat. V. panoptes are in SE QLD but they are scarce - they pop up from time to time just west of the Ipswich area and become fairly common once you hit Crows Nest.

I didn't keep it bud... I caught it in my neighbours backyard, took it home to show my family. Took some photos to find out what it was, then took it to the park.

I caught it in Springfield lakes, brisbane. I was took by surprise when my neighbour called me saying he has a big lizard in his back yard, I thought it was just going to be a eastern water dragon as that the only lizard around this area, but then when i realised it was a monitor i was like :O And had to get a photo. I never seen one in ipswich/brisbane and I've live here for 10 years haha.

Sorry mate... I jumped to conclusions! But still doesn't change my opinion ;)

Panoptes..... Black throat markings.....that's not remotely like a gouldii

Panoptes..... Black throat markings.....that's not remotely like a gouldii
+1
It's not too good but to be honest you would have big trouble getting that thing out of my care. What a beautiful creature. Jaw dropping. I think I'm actually salivating. Monitors- my one and only love... Apart from the mister of course :)

Interesting how the APS morality police jump in immediately, without any further questions, and "assume" the worst, and then plant personal opinion as fact. You didn't even answer the question he asked Naomi - did you know what the animal was?

Jamie

I would not have a clue what it is but I do know that the photo was taken on xmas day . :lol: have a close look !!

Both gouldii and panoptes have been recored on Bribie Island. You cant get much more east or coastal in se/qld than there.

Ummm... is Xmas day now the 26th Dec btbn :)???

J

:oops: I meant the wrapping paper behind him I was not smart enuff to look at the date :oops:

Unemployment has softened my already softening brain :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I know several people who have found panoptes from that area. Very sporadically though. That is a very cool find.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back