Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Levold

Reaction score
What are these frogs? Thanks. Is one a spotted marsh frog?

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1355520062112.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1355520062112.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 86
  • uploadfromtaptalk1355520079658.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1355520079658.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 102
  • uploadfromtaptalk1355520200524.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1355520200524.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 102
First 2 pics (left and centre pics) is a Spotted Marsh Frog (Limnodynastes tasmaniensis) and the last pic (on the very right) is a Striped Marsh Frog (Limnodynastes peronii).

Last edited:
Limnodynastes peroni has dark brown longitudinal ‘striped’markings, while L. tasmaniensis has olive green blotches.

L. fletcheri and tasmaniensis can be hard to tell apart if you are in an area where both occur.

Blue

These are pretty cool that we have in stock at the moment if you like native Victorian Frogs
"Green" Brown Tree Frogs
Green Tree Brown.JPG

Think I saw a young one of those today? It was that beige colour and had a few bright green patches on its head and back. Shame it hopped away while I took my phone out to take a pic.

Seen quite a few of the green form of Litoria ewingii myself (I should take photos).

- - - Updated - - -

while L. tasmaniensis has olive green blotches.

Blue
Not all tasmaniensis have olive green spots as you have described
in some specimens the markings are quite dark in others the markings are bright green and others inbetween. Not having a go at you I just thought I would point that out :).

Last edited:
That's a beautiful frog from amazing amazon, top store but on the other side of the city for me, defently worth the trip tho if your wanting to purchase..

4any7ary.jpg
Just found this guy weeding the veggie patch.

Last edited:
Not all tasmaniensis have olive green spots as you have described….
I was just trying to keep it simple. Occasional specimens are brown blotched rather than green, and I think olive green covers the usual range of green colours well enough. The base colour tends to be a pale grey. While we are at it, not all specimens possess the mid-dorsal stripe from the snout running the full length of the body. It can vary in colour from cream to yellow to orange or even red.

[Now if that doesn’t earn me at least 8 of 10… I am going to have to correct your spelling. Lol.]

Blue

PS. Love the green Litoria ewingi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back