ID this cute little fella.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chills

Not so new Member
Reaction score
This cute little guy has been camping in my garage for the last week or so. Usually find him out in my garden shed or on our rock wall in the back yard.
We live on the back of a fresh water Canal / creek and have a heap of water dragons around.
Is this a baby water dragon on or a different species? Anyone have a mpre educated opinion than my guess?
I live in Banora Point (Tweed Shire) on the QLD/NSW border.
Not trying to move him away, he's a most welcome house guest.

20210222_182900.jpg

You're correct. Eastern water dragon. Make sure it can easily get outside as it's a bit odd to be in there for a week or so..
He only seems to come in during the early evening. He's out on our rock wall or in the garden during the days.
Must be a good food source in the garage for him.

Judging by the size of it against the bricks, it would likely be a hatchling from this breeding season. Initially young EWDs will only eat live prey, primarily insects and some other small arthropods. Given that, and your description of its behaviour, it sounds like it sees the garage as a safe and suitable spot to soak up a bit of heat late in the day, and maybe even in which to spend the night. My own observation of wild EWD’s is that they tend to stop foraging in the late afternoon in warm weather, and move to within close proximity of their main retreat, without actually disappearing unless threatened. I suspect they are spending the last couple of hours or so soaking up whatever heat is available in the substrate, before retiring deep into crevices or burrows for the night. Bear in mind that this entirely surmise on my part.

Latest posts

Back