ID this frog please

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trewin

Reaction score
Know its along shot, especially soon as i dont gotmuch photos. It was found under a piece of bark near giants cave WA Margret river
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• P1060071 copy.jpg
    P1060071 copy.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 173
Hard to tell without looking at its belly and having a clean frog. However, if I was to have a guess I would say that it is a Geocrinia leai, aka a Ticking Frog. It appears to have slightly dilated toe tips (but could be just the sand on the back foot). The general body shape is also consistent with this frog; however, I wouldn't give a confident id off what I can see in the photo.

Thanks, knew it would be hard, next time ill make sure to get some belly photos and clean the frog off a bit.

I would have to agree with BrownHash that without a clean dorsal and ventral shot, clearly showing the digits, it is not possible to ID accurately. The colours and patterns of armpit, groin and back of thighs are also useful ID traits for a great many frogs.

The dilation on the ends of the digits is relatively small on Geocrinia leai, which leads me to believe it is probably sand grains that are producing this effect in the photo. I could be wrong there, however. With the rather dark overall colour with an absence of distinct dorsal markings, I would lean towards it being Crinia glauerti. Don’t know whether you heard any calling but the call of this species is an elongated rattle, a bit like a pea shaken in a in an empty can. The call of Geocrinia leai is a repeated “chick”, quite different. Not that this guarantees an ID either...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back