ID this snake?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snakelady96

Reaction score
I know what the snake is called but having a mind blank -.- would be appreciated if someone could remind me what the species is lol :) thanksIMG_2536.jpg
IMG_2581.jpg

Pfft, thats what i was thinking but for some reason i thought the scientific name was meaning curl snake... Lol total mind spasm i guess thanks guys! :)

Ok my next question- is the suta punctata related (cousin) to the suta suta (curl snake) and is the venom toxicity close to the same? excuse my lack of not using the snake familys correctly if there even is one :)

Hi Snakelady

Yes they are closely related, they are in the same genus and occur in the same region.
Being a small elapid not much is known their venom. But I know that their bite is extremely painful and knocked my friend around for a few days.

Secondly a study was conducted not too long ago on Suta punctata and Suta suta.
Their venom is considered nearotoxic and myotoxic.
The study concluded with the statment that with the polyvalent antivenom, which is the only antivenom appropriate for Suta sp. does not reverse the venom as efficiently as previously thought.

Whilst they are a common small elapid they should not be underestimated.

Source
Kuruppu S, Robinson S, Hodgson WC and Fry BG.

Thank you Mulgaaustralis! Im really interested to know all about their venom as i was biten by a decent sized adult back in May whist moving furniture in the backyard! When i was bitten i did not have any symptoms which led me to believe it was a dry bite.. (i went to hospital straight away after it happened though in case i did get symptoms, i was there for 6 hours). When they did a swab test it came back positive for death adder or eastern brown... So maybe their venom is made up similar? I really dont know enough to say if it is or not but just my thoughts.

The next day though i was extremely tired but i did go to bed at like 1-2 in the morning! I had pain going up from my wrist to under my armpits. Pain in my knees, headache drowsy... I was bitten on the finger and i did have pain and it was swollen to the point i couldn't bend it but i cant honestly say it was anywhere near the worst pain ive ever felt.. Out of ten i would of rate the bite a 3 if that.. What DID hurt though was the blood tests (but im a sook when it comes to needles lol).

The pics i posted were mine i took whilst out herping and ive only ever seen suta punctata once but curls are everywhere here... Weird but interesting to me :)

Will add i was bitten by a suta suta not suta punctata

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back