ID thread - for the botanists or gardeners

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Renenet

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I have three flowering plants out in my backyard that I can't identify. I really want to know what they are just in case my beardie can eat any of them. :D Please check out the following photos.

Plant 1:

Plant 2:

Plant 3 (sorry, only one photo for this one):

Thanks,
Ren

I have three flowering plants out in my backyard that I can't identify. I really want to know what they are just in case my beardie can eat any of them. :D Please check out the following photos.

Plant 1:

Plant 2:

Plant 3 (sorry, only one photo for this one):

Thanks,
Ren

First is Singapore Daisy (bad weed) do not feed

2nd is Allamanda sunnee (milky sap) do not feed
Not sure about the 3rd though

#3 looks like a plant from the night shade family kill with glyphosate 360 or hand weed. But this is not a clear photo of the whole plant.
#1 singapore daisy kill it with methulsulfuron (brushoff) and a weting agent this is a clasified noxious weed and should be destroyed.

Thanks for the responses. It looks like there will be no feeding of these plants to the beardie, then. The good news is that my landlord can't complain if I decide to clear the Singapore daisy to plant a beardie garden.

Thanks for the responses. It looks like there will be no feeding of these plants to the beardie, then. The good news is that my landlord can't complain if I decide to clear the Singapore daisy to plant a beardie garden.

I seem to remember using Fusilade in the ratio of about 1 or 2g per 10L water at my old workplace for Singapore daisy, I was told it was fairly specific for the Singapore daisy, but I don't know if that's true or even the right ratios, it was a while ago..............

Jeffa is correct on the first two – well done. Third looks like Solanum nigrum, Blackberry Nightshade also called Black Nightshade. Well spotted Mic777. If it is it will develop green berries that turn deep black or purplish black? The berries are actually edible when ripe but vary in flavour from plant to plant. Some are almost pleasant, others not so. I have eaten them myself so that is how I know. The leaves and green berries can contain poisonous alkaloids. You would never eat one because the alkaloids impart an incredibly bitter taste that makes them very unpalatable. Easiest way to control them is to collect any fallen berries and seeds then pull plants out by hand. As new plants sprout from seed, pluck them at the seedling stage. If you turn the soil over and keep it moist, that will encourage seeds still present to sprout.

Also came across some alternative managements for Singapore Daisy. If interested I can PM them.

Jedi, Fusilade is a selective herbicide that will kill anything in the family Poaceae i.e. any grass. It is not cheap but is the herbicide of choice to rid gardens and broad leaved native bush of unwanted grass weeds. That may be what you remember about it. It should certainly not affect Singapore Daisy.

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back