Identification and pics...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ether

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone could tell me what this lizard is....and here is a cool pic of a some Green Mambas

Fijian banded iguana i think is the lizard. where was the shot taken?

The shot was taken at London Zoo, along with the other first 10 shots in my album. I went their these holidays. They have a really good herp section, probably rating a little less than Taronga.

They have a good variety including a few of our old favourites eg Vitti's, Sleepies and Blueys. Oh and a dismal looking Diamond Python. If i could have shown them what we get them like in Australia it would have knocked their socks off.

I loved the Green and Black Mambas and the Gaboon Viper..

come on tell us!
what you see where you go ect

Re: RE: Identification and pics...

AGAMIDAE said:
it an emerald tree monitor...from Popua New Guinea.... Varanus prasinus
photos of emerald tree monitor
http://www.varanus.nl/engbegin.htm

It's definately not V.Prasinus or any other monitor species.

It's a Iguanid of some sort, almost certainly a 'Brachylophus sp' in my opinion.

Neil

Ok well i have no idea, lol

Maybe someone could tell me what this is as well, maybe not the best pic..

Hi Marc,

I believe that you may be looking at two different species in the two separate photo's. This one, the top picture is definately not V.prasinus, it looks like the overexposure on the head is due to white colouration, which is why I say it is 'Brachylophus sp' , I didn't look at the photo below it as I couldn't see the head.
The photo below does look like it has a more monitor like in appearance, but it is hard to tell with such a small amount in view.

This photo, the first is the Iguanid, note the more rounded snout and head, next to V.Prasinus longer snout and head.
http://www.aussiepythons.com/albums/ether/P1010060.jpg

Neil

I think the only way this can be solved is to contact the zoo....which zoo was it an I will contact them

it looks a bit like that fijian banded iguana to me but i'm no expert lol ;)

I agree with Marc, the dark bands around the neck in the second pic is what makes me believe its V. prasinus.

That's my whole point, it might be two separate species, as the top picture isn't a monitor.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one.

Ether, you should learn to take better pictures or take note of the display tanks names! LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back