Identification Help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shacks

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I ran over this snake on the road in the early hours today, didn't see it till the last second. Looking in a book I have here it looks like a Tipan, but the markings don't match what the book has.

Thanks.

1069525690_SQ4Pc-L.jpg

A larger version is here > http://glenschackier.com/General-Ph...-Dam-20101030-GS33921/1069525690_SQ4Pc-XL.jpg

Keelback for sure.

Taipan if your guide dog thinks so.

Why is it when people want to ID a snake on here (no offence Shacks) its 90% a keelback.

Not that I should winge because I needed some hatchie keelbacks confirmed a few months back. (what are they, flavour of the month or something?)

APS really needs to implement some rules with these "What snake is that" threads, perhaps using a dedicated forum with a proforma like the for sale section.
People need to state the reason for their identification attempts, this is to avoid the apperance of "arm-chair" experts or just griefers.
The poster should endeavour to include clear, close up photos of head, tail and mid section ( I understand that this is not always possible with live animals ). If not supplied the respondents should use a image software package to show ID points. The poster should also indicate location and the habitat type (eg swamp, desert or frozen lake )

In the spirit of the above I submit the following:

Tentative ID : Keelback ( Tropidonophis mairii )
ID Point : Colour pattern within expected parameters of species, however this species is highly variable and other species can match this pattern
ID Point : location of poster is within the species range.
ID Point : loreal scale appears to be present ( see kb1_loreal.jpg ). This indicates it is a colubrid snake
ID Point : divided subcaudal scales ( see kb1_SubCaudal.jpg ) This indicates it is NOT the similar rough-scaled snake
ID Point : Mid body scale count - Keelbacks have a scale count of around 15. kb1_ScaleCount.jpg shows half the mid body and there are 7 scales visible. Again an indicator of a colubrid and is definitely not a python or elapid.

Attachments

• kb1_SubCaudal.jpg
    kb1_SubCaudal.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 92
  • kb1_ScaleCount.jpg
    kb1_ScaleCount.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 92
  • kb1_loreal.jpg
    kb1_loreal.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 79
Status
Not open for further replies.