Identification of skin

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aukimi

Reaction score
Hi, new here. I found this skin at mY Back door this afternoon. I live on Central coast just north of Sydney. I have seen some
Red bellies in our area but I am not sure what this is? Or if you can even tell from the skin. As I have a dog and kids who love being in the pool I guess I would feel better knowing what it is. It had no head, just squashed up at the head end.
Thanks

F6828068-4455-403F-A994-D44E5DC5A9ED.jpeg

Diamond Carpet aka Diamond Python, Morelia spilota spilota.
[doublepost=1550063496,1550063359][/doublepost]Oh, just saw you're new. Just in case you're not familiar with this species, it's non venomous and more or less harmless to anything much larger than a cat, also a very popular pet. Very beautiful snakes which will help you keep rats and other vermin in check, they're great wildlife to have around :)

Thank you so much. I am happy for him to stay around. Do they eat lizards? Sorry my snake knowledge is limited. My main concern was I had a Brown snake lurking in my yard

They are very prone to eating small lizards when they're babies, and occasionally will eat larger lizards like Water Dragons as adults, but it's not normal. As adults they're mostly eating birds, rats, etc.

Because they eat rodents they'll likely reduce the numbers of other large snakes, but there's no guarantee and you may also have a Brown Snake or other species around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back