Identify this little guy...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JungleRob

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Photos taken last night in Riverhills (Brisbane, Western Suburbs)

Was between 30 - 40cm long.

What is it?

Attachments

• IMG_9776.JPG
    IMG_9776.JPG
    344.9 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_9775.JPG
    IMG_9775.JPG
    246.9 KB · Views: 188
No, a guy I work with is a photographer and he's seen alot in the last couple weeks, without even really looking for it. He got some pics of a Lace Monitor last weekend.

it is a legless lizard dont no the species but i have alot of them in my yard in brighton bris.

Verreauxs skink,really common, even in suburban backyards

I have them at my place. I thought it wasa snake that had started mutating.

I've seen only one of these in my backyard (if its the same species), got the shock of my life when it came out while I was gardening. Was a nice sight to see it instead of the usual garden skinks!

Damn, I was thinking Lerista genus. Been reading too much Allen Greer me thinks :)

It is definitely Anomalopus verreauxii, a skink species. They are incredibly common in suburban backyards, but most people don't know they are there. You can normally find them after rain, hiding in a shady spot underneath rotting timber. They grow quite large - 30cm and around as thick as your middle finger.

Danny Brown and I have made a few breakthroughs with this species in captivity, especially with regards to diet. You'll have to book into our course to learn about it though :)

Verreaux's Skink

Double that, definitely a Verreaux's skink, Anomalopus verreauxii, as others have said.

Very common in and around Brisbane, very shy and secretive, not often seen as they spend a lot of time hiding under logs, leaf litter etc... Here are a couple more pics,

Attachments

• Verr Skink.jpg
    Verr Skink.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Verr Skink1.jpg
    Verr Skink1.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 46
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back