Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowPython

Reaction score
We found this lizard out the back a few days ago, minor birds were attacking him so we moved him to safer ground. At first it looked like a blue tongue but the tongue is clearly not blue. I'm more of a snake person so I couldn't really tell. Any ideas?
P1160953.jpg

P1160939.jpg

Attachments

• P1160939.jpg
    P1160939.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 256
What he said. Did you know in fact most skinks have Blue-tongues even on the rare occasion Pink-tongued Skinks will have blue tongues. It is by far the irregular rather than the norm for a skink to have pink tongue. Interesting I think then that the Blue Tongue is really so famous for having a blue tongue...

I was doubting my original statement too Mad Dog, but I was thinking bearded dragon. :lol:

Maybe it's a keelback with legs? :O

Lol :p

hahahaah i saw this post and thought "oh no not again!", so relieved to see it wasn't another eastern beardie hahahah

What he said. Did you know in fact most skinks have Blue-tongues even on the rare occasion Pink-tongued Skinks will have blue tongues. It is by far the irregular rather than the norm for a skink to have pink tongue. Interesting I think then that the Blue Tongue is really so famous for having a blue tongue...

I didn't know that most skinks have blue tongues, I had noticed that Lizzy has a nice blue tongue when I was examining some of my happy snaps of her (sometimes fluked a yawn or a tongue flick).

Here's an question for anyone who wants to offer a reasonable scientific answer - why are skinks' tongues blue/blueish in colour ? (I'd call LIzzy's tongue colour more gray-blue.)

That's actually start or end of a big yawn while in floppy lizard mode and basking on the modem's transformer .... but I tell everyone it's Lizzy smiling or laughing at something her trained ape said.

Attachments

• lizzy ismiling at me.jpg
    lizzy ismiling at me.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
To scare predators I believe...as they flare it at you when scared

Not a bad answer and I don't have a particularly better one, but I might question. Have you ever seen a Lampropholis flare its tongue at you? I think the majority of skinks do not use their tongue as a defense mechanism, that is limited to some of the larger ones, including this pink tongue whos tongue certainly isn't blue.

I didn't know that most skinks have blue tongues, I had noticed that Lizzy has a nice blue tongue when I was examining some of my happy snaps of her (sometimes fluked a yawn or a tongue flick).

Here's an question for anyone who wants to offer a reasonable scientific answer - why are skinks' tongues blue/blueish in colour ? (I'd call LIzzy's tongue colour more gray-blue.)

That's actually start or end of a big yawn while in floppy lizard mode and basking on the modem's transformer .... but I tell everyone it's Lizzy smiling or laughing at something her trained ape said.

Melanistic colouration so the tongues don't get sunburned when the dopey pricks forget to put their tongues away

I beleave the blue tongue lizard is famous for the treat display they do with there "blue" tongue, not just because they have a blue tongue. Here's a good example, the cat brought this little fella in the other day, I gave him a good feed and sent him on his way.
b2ee811d.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back