Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry missed the part about it not being imported timber LOL...although fumigated and treated timber packs doesnt mean it kills everything the muswum has bucket loads of reptiles that can prove that....

anyways end of story..glad to be of help..

cheers Marc
LOL

I think was that the original point the Mcloughlin2 was trying to make is fair...It is better to have a snake photographed and released than killed "The only good snake..."
It's either a damaged coastal or an unusual morph, but that's highly unlikely. There are no wild type pythons that have that colouration here or overseas.

The snakes body was in very good condition no damage whatsoever just when it was given water it drank continiously for half an hour but wouldnt eat small mouse. Not sure how long he was in pack it had been in storage quite a while

I Volunteered at the Qld Museum for 2 1/2 years and they get 100's of requests for ID's every year, yeah I agree that the majority of the population couldn't Id a snake if they tried, and I never said catch it, phone camera a good these days. So yeah I am serious!

Abit confused eco if it was imported should it have been caught or just a photo taken and let it slither off into our habitat?

Should have been handed in to wires or NPWS anyway as you do not know the 5km radius release point of capture.
I would usually agree with a photo being enough for a later ID, but as it had been captured it was irresponsible to release it into a foreign habitat. JMO

Abit confused eco if it was imported should it have been caught or just a photo taken and let it slither off into our habitat?

I am sorry you are so confused, but we are talking about IDing a snake that you don’t recognize (we dont know at this stage if it was imported and we will never know now), I understand you are trying to defending the actions taken and I stand by what I believe was the correct way to deal with it. I currently work for a fruit distribution centre and we get snakes and frogs come in all the time and yes the pallets of bananas are fumigated and if a frog can survive well!!! In any case we get an animal in one of the pallets NPWS are called to come and get it.

Maybe instead of arguing the point maybe the positive outlook is you could implement a procedure at your work place just in case this happens, just letting the animal go is not always the best option.

Cheers Marc

I Volunteered at the Qld Museum for 2 1/2 years and they get 100's of requests for ID's every year, yeah I agree that the majority of the population couldn't Id a snake if they tried, and I never said catch it, phone camera a good these days. So yeah I am serious!
Wow a photo being taken to a museum to id is a bit contradictory to your previous statement really dont think you should have released back into the bush before it is correctly ID by a professional, I would before even thinking about release" suggesting a photo and release was not an sensible idea! Seriously guys! Reptiles are foreign to about 90% of the population and every snake thats not a rbbs, brown or diamond has little chance of being id'd by every average joe. I would now expect if you guys are un familiar with any bug or insect that you DO NOT RELEASE and take it straight to your local museum pronto! "

read above!

No use wasting your breathe mate.
Some people just love an argument hey.
Had the animal met a shovel everyone would be whinging that it should have been identified by any means including photo ID etc. Am a bit suprised that people are condoning the illegal release of foreign animals into a distribution outside an animals 5km locale though. Then again does anything on here really suprise me? lol

I have read above and maybe you should to as it was stated that the timber WAS NOT IMPORTED so why the need for a checking procedure on local products?
Umm because even if it is an Australian snake it should not be released more than 5km from its native location (which can not be identified). This is why DEC have ballots for NATIVE animals, because they can not be released as they do not know the exact location of capture. (Oh well GTP's are Aussie lets release them in Sydney, don't worry that the humidity isn't right for them)

No use wasting your breathe mate.
Some people just love an argument hey.
Had the animal met a shovel everyone would be whinging that it should have been identified by any means including photo ID etc. Am a bit suprised that people are condoning the illegal release of foreign animals into a distribution outside an animals 5km locale though. Then again does anything on here really suprise me? lol

Umm because even if it is an Australian snake it should not be released more than 5km from its native location (which can not be identified). This is why DEC have ballots for NATIVE animals, because they can not be released as they do not know the exact location of capture. (Oh well GTP's are Aussie lets release them in Sydney, don't worry that the humidity isn't right for them)
Not at all am I up for an arguement as i agree your points are valid but if the snake in question was a rbbs and was relased no extra questions asked the fact it is a strange looking snake has prompted calls for a professional id. While you are right is saying its not good that it was possibly released out of it locale but as you said IF it had of met a shovel people would be crying more for a release then a photo id. The average person is unlikely to have any idea on the 5km radius rule so the fact it was released over being chopped is a positive start.

I have read above and maybe you should to as it was stated that the timber WAS NOT IMPORTED so why the need for a checking procedure on local products?

Did you flip a coin to see which side of the discussion you wanted to be on unlucky for me lol, and as for the "WAS NOT IMPORTED" this wasnt stated until very late.....but in saying that it was imported to his location from another location!!

Cheers Marc

Back to the original topic.....

I haven't seen this happen before personally but....could it be just a really bad shed thats come off in random bits when rubbing? It drank continuously for 30 minutes which one would think means dehyrdation...
Just that the way the markings are it just doesn't look right, not like a weird morph....
Thoughts....?

the only thing wrong with that snake was DEHYDRATION it wasnt some freak species or overseas exotic ...once it got a good drink and hopefully a good soak it would have pumped up and looked typical of a coastal juvie...no X file matter here .

Its just a bad shed guys!
I saved 4th pic and zoomed in and you can see all the light patches are retained shed!
Normal coastal

Cant believe it took 6 pages for someone to discover that!

the only thing wrong with that snake was DEHYDRATION it wasnt some freak species or overseas exotic ...once it got a good drink and hopefully a good soak it would have pumped up and looked typical of a coastal juvie...no X file matter here .

Rofl you got to love the emagination People on here can have:lol:

re identify

Its just a bad shed guys!
I saved 4th pic and zoomed in and you can see all the light patches are retained shed!
Normal coastal

Cant believe it took 6 pages for someone to discover that!

Looks like a coastal.but the scalation on the head is different,its got a frontal scale that is separated from the prefrontals by a row of fragmented scales,it could be a morelia still but its not a spilota.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back