identifying snake skin

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sandymegan

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hi,
I found a snake skin (head to tail) in the back of our house paddock. I was wondering if it is possible to tell if it is a brown snake or a red belly black? :?
This skin looks like it's been there for a few weeks.... and is a dark colour on top and clear on the belly area, do the red bellies have colour in their skin after it's shed? :? I was curious as I've seen a red belly around when it was hotter (would much prefer this near the house than a brown snake :wink: ) All up it was a bit over 1/2m long and you could see where it had rubbed it's nose to loosen the skin and then slid under the rocks to get the whole lot off (shame we didn't see it happening).
thanks for any help
Megan :D

As far as I know, colour and size of skin won't help much in identifying the snake. You'll need to do a 'scale count' and check numbers and features of the scalation against records for that species. I couldn't tell you where to find the records, but maybe someone more experienced can?

I thought of that Africa... :D (can't wait - fingers crossed for this week)
...but that'd be pythons only, and won't help Sarahbell with the RBB or browns...

Hi Megan

I've seen a fair number of RBBS around my place and no Browns. The skins I've found have been fairly bland. Not much colour and certainly no red on the belly. The scale count would be the best bet though. 8)

Hey there sandy ,
It should be fairly easy to tell if you have the whole slough.
Look at the subcaudals - (the scales underneath the tail , from the vent to the tail-tip)
if these scales are all divided, then you have a brown.
if the first 1/3 of these scales are single & the rest divided then you have a blacksnake.

Hope this helps you out a bit .

thanks westaussie!!!
I looked at the tail and only thelast 5 cm has divided scales the rest on the tail section are single... so I guess a rbbs !!! :shock: Thanks everyone for the help - I did start counting scales on the head bit but I'm just not that patient :lol:

I wish I could find red bellies in my backyard !!
I Will have to plan a trip east just to find redbellies & copperheads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back