Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We dont get a lot of calls for brown snakes on the Nth Shore unless you go as far as Hornsby or out to Kuringai National Pk.
I doubt its a marsh snake, they dont behave like that usually. It could be a Yellow faced whip though seems a little bulky but unless otherwise proven I would stick with eastern brown just to play it safe. Theres WIRES or Sydney Wildlife or that company that Snakepimp works for.

I wouldn't worry about a snake catcher. Unless of course you have a dog, cat or small kids. But saying that, if there's one like that then you've got more in your area. The best snake is the one you can see in my opinion. Just be mindful about lifting pots or tin etc (wear gloves when gardening). It won't go out of its way to attack you :), but more so it'll go out of its way to get away from you. From a distance they are fascinating to watch ;) I don't know what it is from that shot either - I'd err on the side of caution and treat it like a brown.

cockney red- Near Dee Why
Lived in DY for years, never seen or heard of a brown....never seen a brown anywhere on the beaches, through to the peninsular.....however you come back up Mona Vale rd a couple of K's to Ingleside, and you are in brown snake central, I have afew customers on the properties up there, and they have all lost pets or livestock to browns...they are very common!
Down on the coastal fringe, you will find Whips, Swampie's, Crowns, all very common....the odd black, and BHS, iF VERY FORTUNATE...

Siigh..I'll do it then. This bloke's in woongarrah, supposedly he knows what he's doing- 0438 280 168- he'll give you free advice. I think call out is like $50.
It would cost him 50 bucks in squirt for the round trip...lol

Last edited:
im definat on that its a black bellied marsh snake i have them all the time at mine at narrabeen i just relocate them up at wakhurst if u ever get your hands on it or see it again give us msg n ill relocate it for u they are mildly venomous but not agressive just dont kill it

we have had callouts for browns close to that area and my co worker removed one from mossman. A bloke called us out to brookvale where a large brownsnake was uncovered in his garden and it went under his house.
Glad i dont live there on cause out my way they are a far more common species in the remnant cumberland plain bushland .

What's going on with its neck? Has to be a GTS doesn't it??

we have had callouts for browns close to that area and my co worker removed one from mossman. A bloke called us out to brookvale where a large brownsnake was uncovered in his garden and it went under his house.
Glad i dont live there on cause out my way they are a far more common species in the remnant cumberland plain bushland .
2 places, I'd least expect to find a brown

A contentious one...

I must admit that when I first looked at the photo I immediately thought “Whip Snake”. It was only after I began examining it more carefully that I realized things were not as they should be for a whip. Under magnification the eye appears as a black circle, lacking the black tail to the comma underneath. The size of the eye is also too small, especially for a half grown animal. On a full-sized whip the eye occupies a good two-thirds of the lateral head profile. What is definitive for me though, is the tail. That tail does NOT belong to a whip snake. It is far too short and tapers far too quickly.

The attributes of the snake do fit that of a juvenile Eastern Brown. They can be a slender build for a large elapid and this specimen is looking skanky and in need of a good feed. The slightly darker blotches on the crown of the head and the nape would correlate with the original juvenile pigment there. It appears to be developing the pale head and neck seen in some adults. As for the area, Collaroy stretches back from the beach a fair way and there used to be a lot of bush at the back of Narrembeen Lakes and either side of the road through there – Terry Hills Rd I think. So you have some extensive bushland not that far away. Just as an aside, a mate and I used to chase Jacky Dragons in the shrubs on Dee Why beach as kids. It could also have been transported in with landscape supplies or firewood or similar by a neighbour.
It is not a Marsh Snake – either colour form, although I have only ever seen the lighter ones with dark heads in Sydney. It lacks the distinctive facial markings and only the head should vary in colour to the rest of the body.

I cannot think of any other potential candidates, so I would reckon it’s a young Eastern Brown Snake.

Blue

Forgot to include that Marsh Snake has very dark ventrals (grey-black) and this animal has white or off-white, as can be seen around the throat area.

Last edited by a moderator:
A contentious one...

I must admit that when I first looked at the photo I immediately thought “Whip Snake”. It was only after I began examining it more carefully that I realized things were not as they should be for a whip. Under magnification the eye appears as a black circle, lacking the black tail to the comma underneath. The size of the eye is also too small, especially for a half grown animal. On a full-sized whip the eye occupies a good two-thirds of the lateral head profile. What is definitive for me though, is the tail. That tail does NOT belong to a whip snake. It is far too short and tapers far too quickly.

The attributes of the snake do fit that of a juvenile Eastern Brown. They can be a slender build for a large elapid and this specimen is looking skanky and in need of a good feed. The slightly darker blotches on the crown of the head and the nape would correlate with the original juvenile pigment there. It appears to be developing the pale head and neck seen in some adults. As for the area, Collaroy stretches back from the beach a fair way and there used to be a lot of bush at the back of Narrembeen Lakes and either side of the road through there – Terry Hills Rd I think. So you have some extensive bushland not that far away. Just as an aside, a mate and I used to chase Jacky Dragons in the shrubs on Dee Why beach as kids. It could also have been transported in with landscape supplies or firewood or similar by a neighbour.
It is not a Marsh Snake – either colour form, although I have only ever seen the lighter ones with dark heads in Sydney. It lacks the distinctive facial markings and only the head should vary in colour to the rest of the body.

I cannot think of any other potential candidates, so I would reckon it’s a young Eastern Brown Snake.

Blue

That settles it....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back