Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tell ya what stencorp.When it happens come back and tell me I told you so ok.

Until then all the talk in the world won't change it.

stencorp69 said:
NPWS used to say that to us when we kept natives, good thing that none of us listened to them then - now that is reality.

Keeping natives is a state thing, it's regulated and administered by the different states.

The ban on exotics is a Federal Law. And in Canberra, they don't see what goes on in the regions.

It's not up to NPWS, it's DEW you have to convince. And goodluck with that.

And it's not how many people disagree with me - it's who I can bring around to my way of thinking.

:p

Hix

in australia we can only have native reptiles any others are illigal

I'm just glad somebody cleared that up for us.

Whether exotic reptiles will become legal or not depends mostly on the future.

Keeping natives is a state thing, it's regulated and administered by the different states.

The ban on exotics is a Federal Law. And in Canberra, they don't see what goes on in the regions.

It's not up to NPWS, it's DEW you have to convince. And goodluck with that.

I'm not arguing on who has to be convinced, I'm sure you'd be hard pressed importing a European Fox if you wanted to but they are so widespread in the country that if you kept one as a pet no one would bother stopping you, same with an Asian house gecko. My point is that if exotics become so widespread (and my guess is they will as more natives become mainstream pets) they'll become legal by stealth - government departments won't be able to afford to monitor it.

Ramsayi, I love your point :D, "Tell ya what stencorp.When it happens come back and tell me I told you so ok" you are incredibly skilled at getting a point across :D:D

then after that they will legalise heroin etc because it is so widespread? Wont happen,not in this lifetime.
Haha I was about to post the exact same thing,

they'll become legal by stealth - government departments won't be able to afford to monitor it.
Yeah and then the government can spend even more money on monitoring that the exotics arn't escaping and controlling them if they do escape , because controlling the feral animals in the country doesn't cost that much already :rolleyes:

I'm sure you'd be hard pressed importing a European Fox if you wanted to but they are so widespread in the country that if you kept one as a pet no one would bother stopping you, same with an Asian house gecko. :D:D

Would have to agree with u but the difference here is, those animals are now in the wild and the government is doing everything in it's power to prevent them spreading and the exotics though not native are still only in private collections and not in the wild...... Don't see anyone going through the trouble of trying to introduce them in the wild just so they breed to the extent that the government legalizes them......

My gut feeling is they wont be legalised anytime soon as the head in the sand method seems to be an adequate method of controlling the issue.

So are you allowed to keep Asian House Geckos then?

I keep 100's of them.
I would imagine the official line would be that we shouldn't keep them in a cage and why would you anyway but I wouldn't think they would care if you did.

Mc Alpines zoo offered a heap of monkeys for private sale when they closed back in 1996 they had lion tamarins and black capped capucaians ect mainly small ones .
There are quite a few monkeys in private colections in northern aus i know of one that was taken from an indo fishing boat.

illegal exotic vens

There's a really informative article in 'Reptiles Australia' mag --vol 3 ,issue 3---about exotics
found in Aus . One astonishing part was about a guy that bought a "baby Carpet snake" from a
guy in a NSW pub , kept it at home in a fish tank with no probs , only to be informed later that
it was actually a Russell's Viper by staff at Taronga Zoo.
Yet another guy turned up at a Syd hospital with an African puff adder bite ; interesting article.

I just remind myself of the market i would be supporting if i took part in the illegal trade of animals. I bet the mother tiger had to be killed to get those cubs. Personally it makes me sick but thats just my own (non accusative of anyone in particular) opinion.

i no someone with a red tailed boa, witch was bread in melb

(English translation: I know someone who owns a Red Tailed Boa that was bred in Melbourne.)

Last edited by a moderator:
One astonishing part was about a guy that bought a "baby Carpet snake" from a guy in a NSW pub , kept it at home in a fish tank with no probs , only to be informed later that it was actually a Russell's Viper by staff at Taronga Zoo.
Yet another guy turned up at a Syd hospital with an African puff adder bite ; interesting article.

That would be bit of a shock. Did he cop a bite or find out before? (the bloke with the Rusell's that is :lol:)

Anyone who wants exotics to be legalised is selfish. Whether they are here or not already, makes no difference. If they were legalised, sure you may think that you wont do the wrong thing, but the fact is that ANYONE would be able to keep them. We have the greatest selection of native reptiles found nowhere else in the world. Look at countries that allow the keeping of exotics (america) and what the exotics have done to their native wildlife. To legalise exotics would be absolute stupidity, we should learn from history. For those who want exotics to be legalised, do you actually care about our native fauna? I guess that's what seperates those with a genuine interest in herps and wildlife, and those who just want something because THEY want it. For the latter, get something other than an animal, people will still think you are cool.

Anyone who wants exotics to be legalised is selfish.

Why - If you live in Vic and want to keep a jungle python you are essentially keeping an exotic. I can’t see what difference it would make if you want to keep retics provided quarantine procedures have been met. A Jungle Python could possibly survive in NW Victoria in the wild, but I'm not sure a retic would.

No. Thats incorrect. An exotic is any animal that is not found naturally in Australia. Since jungle pythons are found in OZ they are not considered exotic to one particular state. Also I'm willing to bet a fair bit of money that a retic could survive in VIC. A bet there are alot of people that would back me on that.

The problem with exotics being kept is idiotic people release them. Now thats where the problem lies. Mistakes have been made in the past regarding exotics. Just to name a few, cane toads, asian house geckos and carp.

Now if there were not so many idiots around there wouldn't be a problem as they wouldn't pose a problem if they were kept in cages but when release they compete with our native animals for food and habitat.

Anyone who wants exotics to be legalised is selfish. Whether they are here or not already, makes no difference. If they were legalised, sure you may think that you wont do the wrong thing, but the fact is that ANYONE would be able to keep them. We have the greatest selection of native reptiles found nowhere else in the world. Look at countries that allow the keeping of exotics (america) and what the exotics have done to their native wildlife. To legalise exotics would be absolute stupidity, we should learn from history. For those who want exotics to be legalised, do you actually care about our native fauna? I guess that's what seperates those with a genuine interest in herps and wildlife, and those who just want something because THEY want it. For the latter, get something other than an animal, people will still think you are cool.

As much as i would love to have exotics i agree with you 100%. Those that cannot see past their own selfishness and realise that not only is it a part of the smuggling trade but is potentially devastating to the Aussie ecosystems obviously does not know very much about herpetology. I'm new to the subject and even i know this. If you know and you dont care most ppl would agree with me that your pretty narrow minded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back