Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as i would love to have exotics i agree with you 100%. Those that cannot see past their own selfishness and realise that not only is it a part of the smuggling trade but is potentially devastating to the Aussie ecosystems obviously does not know very much about herpetology. I'm new to the subject and even i know this. If you know and you dont care most ppl would agree with me that your pretty narrow minded.

?? I think your "newness” to the subject has muddled your mind. Having an opinion to legalise exotics isn't really a good marker to evaluating someone’s knowledge of herpetology. The most knowledgeable herp minds in the country work with exotics

No. Thats incorrect. An exotic is any animal that is not found naturally in Australia. Since jungle pythons are found in OZ they are not considered exotic to one particular state. Also I'm willing to bet a fair bit of money that a retic could survive in VIC. A bet there are alot of people that would back me on that.

Leiopython albertisi is found is Australia, would you think that was OK to keep in Vic? and if so would'nt that have just as big an impact as an exoctic if released in to the wild in an area where they aren't locally found. It wouldn't be any different to keeping a Boelen's Python in Vic.

In WA we have introduced Kookaburra and Rosella they aren't exotic to Australa to the local environment, but they have made a big impact to the environment they have been released into. If you stand by an arguement that the keeping of reptiles that aren't found in your local area is OK, then your argument about not being able to keep exotics because they have a potential to impact the environment is a little hollow.

?? I think your "newness” to the subject has muddled your mind. Having an opinion to legalise exotics isn't really a good marker to evaluating someone’s knowledge of herpetology. The most knowledgeable herp minds in the country work with exotics

My appologies. That opinion has nothing to do with ones knowledge of herpetology and i take back that statement. The point i'm trying to emphasise is that those who do not realise the risks that exotics pose upon our native fauna, their knowledge is (in most cases) more associated with herpetology as a hobby rather than knowledge in its ecololgy. I would hate to endanger any of our native wildlife as would most Australians. Thats why quarantine is set in place. They thought the Cane toad would be an answer for the bugs eating the sugar cane. They were the experts then and now look at the cane toad. It threatens Kakadu national park and outcompetes the native amphibians. I'm no expert myself, nor am i an environmenalist extremist, but you ask anyone with any knowledge in ecology and they'll varify the threats exotics pose on our wildlife. Sorry if iv'e offended anyone in their opinions for legalising a potential Cane toad. Who know's maybe we'll be lucky next time and it will all be ok.:rolleyes:.

.........Anyone in the Melbourne area have 1x female + 1x Male Juvie EWD's. PM me:D

Whether they are here or not already, makes no difference ... Look at countries that allow the keeping of exotics (america) and what the exotics have done to their native wildlife.

That's a contradiction. If they're already here then they have the same oportunity to bugger our wildlife up as they would if they were legalised. The snakes don't know they're illegal. Making them legal, and having them here illegally can both potentially damage our wildlife. Just thought I'd point that out.

I reckon they shouldn't be legalised (except, obviously for zoos etc) and they should be cracked down on. Hard. It's not hard for us to purchase them if we want to, so why can't the EPA find them? Resources?

bye the bye i never stated that the opinion of legalising exotics marks poor knowledge. i said that "not only is it a part of the smuggling trade but is potentially devastating to the Aussie ecosystems" and that anyone who does not realise this "obviously does not know very much about herpetology". Only if you did not know this, is your knowledge of herps poor.

I'm not arguing on who has to be convinced, I'm sure you'd be hard pressed importing a European Fox if you wanted to but they are so widespread in the country that if you kept one as a pet no one would bother stopping you

Red Foxes are a prohibited species under the EPBC Act. They might not bother tjo stop you, but technically, you would be breaking a Federal Law.

:p

Hix

It never ceases to amaze me the number of false thoughts and comments that occur on such discussions.
I would suggest that some of the people research their thoughts before commenting. How many people on this thread have a REAL understanding of the implications of legalising exotics, or feral spp presently in Australia etc...
The vast majority of pest spp in australia were introduced by Acclimatisation Societies and the Government.
By looking at History one is supposed to learn and make more informed opinions, not stick their head in the sand and sprout unfounded thoughts and or fears.
I see time and time again people just making shotgun comments which are plain laughable.
Oh by the way the person who made mention of Asian House Geckos might like to know that they were self introduced from cargo carriers. They were not intentionally released. That is a scenario that will never stop unless the world economy is destroyed.
I wonder if the same people would be as passionate and up in arms about wacky tabaca :) or any of the other illegal activities that large portions of the population routinely ignore :)
Not being incitive rather hoping that people would be more informed before jumping to conclusions etc... :)

Hello

Hello,

So any species that is NOT native to Australia, is illegal to own, technically, is that correct?
Just making sure I got that right.
I agree, while I don't live in Australia, but the US, look at the problems we are having with the bearded dragons over here & Adenovirus. It is because the breeders over here have gotten greedy & selfish. They have not properly quarantined before breeding, etc. I know that is not quite the same thing as importing illegally, but, if people do bring dragons into the country, they need to quarantine first. It is legal to own them here just like in Australia.
I do have a question. Does anyone know of a legitimate breeder of Pogona Barbatas? The US had some in the 1980's when they were allowing importation from Australia, but, apparently they either didn't breed enough of them, or they killed them. Their husbandry is different than the vitticeps is. Now, everyone wants color. I know there is Barbata stock in the UK, & it is legal to import from Europe & the UK, so, I have just been trying to find legitimate breeders.
If anyone can help me, let me know! Thanks!

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back