I'm an idiot

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adazz

Reaction score
Haha i feel so dumb, i was spraying a bit of water as my snake is coming up to a shed... loud pop and a flash of light and my globe blew :shock: this ever happen to anyone else or am i the only one dumb enough to get water to close to a hot globe :)

When my beardie is sitting under his globe i spray like there is no tomorro. Never happened to me. and i spray all over the light.. Might take more care now haha

not electricity.

well i don't think it was to do with electricity i think it was because if u heat glass to high enough temps and then put it in cold water it will break or crack, this is because glass, plastic, metal it all expands in heat and when cooled down it contracts but because glass is brittle it will shatter, break or crack when cooled down very quickly.
PS: don't u hate when sicence gets stuck in your head.

OMG, i had an awesome globe, and it just blew..so i got a new one, and sprayed all over it like i usually do, and then it just blew...your not alone..:)

well i don't think it was to do with electricity i think it was because if u heat glass to high enough temps and then put it in cold water it will break or crack, this is because glass, plastic, metal it all expands in heat and when cooled down it contracts but because glass is brittle it will shatter, break or crack when cooled down very quickly.
PS: don't u hate when sicence gets stuck in your head.

told u so

Nope, the glass was in fine form, just the (please excuse my un-educated terms) metal connector thing...ont he inside of the globe was seperated from the other side...if that you can understand that.

Back in the early 90's I had a small freshy which was housed in a timber cage 6 foot long by 3 foot by 3 foot, and at one end of this enclosure I had a small kids swimming pool, you know those kids pools you can get which look like sea shells etc. well this one was a boat which was basicaly a plastic triangle.
I bought this little freshy from Janamba Crock Farm out near Humpty Doo, NT. And he was notorious for being a tail whipper, with the amount of light globes that I had to replace as a result of him splashing water on them I recon this little bugger cost me a fortune.:rolleyes:
And like dragonlady posted earlier.....water and electricity don't mix
I must admit though the kids swimming pool worked a treat at the time, I used to stock it with goldfish and run a canister filter and he also loved his rodents.

wellllll ummmm well yea about that ummmm ammmmm cya suckers LOL jks
my excuse is
(1) its all lies
(2)your all lies
(3)im stupid which i highly doubt
(4)the bulb was broken already
(5)it was tinkled with bye someone who hates u i swear it wasn't me:D:D:D:D:D:evil:

Nope, the glass was in fine form, just the (please excuse my un-educated terms) metal connector thing...ont he inside of the globe was seperated from the other side...if that you can understand that.
Its called a filament, and there is no way to predict when they will blow, some will blow as soon as you turn them on, its just the nature of the beast so to speak.

If you are going to spray, turn the light off, leave it for 20 minutes then turn it back on, you'd be surprised how far an arc can travel in humid air.:)

Haha i feel so dumb, i was spraying a bit of water as my snake is coming up to a shed... loud pop and a flash of light and my globe blew :shock: this ever happen to anyone else or am i the only one dumb enough to get water to close to a hot globe :)

Thanks for the heads up.

I usually spray all around my snake's enclosure as well as directly on the snake. Her top hide is directly in front of one of her thermostats.

I'll have to be more careful when I'm spraying her in her hide.

I vote Mrillusion re-name himself to MrPhysics2008

Mate - that was some good explaining about expansion/contraction etc of the glass.

Not so sure about your follow up yet... I think i may have missed something so I won't make a comment.

But at least you pointed out a great fact... Water and electricity were not the issue here but more the water, expansion and the subsequent contraction of the glass.

And for everyone else - MrIllusion here will now tell us why water won't conduct electricity (unless you get to the break down voltage of pure water which is....)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back