I'm sick of the word..... legend !!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

grannieannie

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Once again I read today of someone being called a .... legend.

Apparently a surfer of the 1970s has died...very sad of course...his name Michael Peterson, but once again...as with so many sports people who die, he's called a....legend !!! Is this just a modern word or what....???

What's wrong with words like.... outstanding or excellent. Why do sports people have to be held up as almost gods.....someone dies, a very good athelete and he gets a state funeral....!! What about doctors, paramedics, police officers and other people who aren't so promanent in the public eye, why don't they get the same recognition ???? Everyone these days is a hero...because they play a sport....I just can't fathom it.....

I totally agree. I don't understand why sports people, or people who die such as celebrities are called a legend.

A legend is 'A traditional story sometimes popularly regarded as historical but unauthenticated' and a fable - story - tale - inscription - myth.
I think people have forgotten the meaning of the word. :?

Annie i think you yourself misunderstanding the use of the term Legend, it's exactly as the dictionary definition Legendary | Define Legendary at Dictionary.com

it simply means the individual was excellent and outstanding in some aspect in his\her life, and his\her outstanding/excellent ability will make him\her a person of story telling and discussion for other people also striving to excel in the same aspect of life.

that story telling and discussion of someone excellent\outstanding\amazing from the past is telling of a legend thus the individual is legendary and or a legend.

to non surfers the use of legend for this individual may not make sense but I'm sure to keen surfers it sure does make sense :)

Annie i think you yourself misunderstanding the use of the term Legend, it's exactly as the dictionary definition Legendary | Define Legendary at Dictionary.com

it simply means the individual was excellent and outstanding in some aspect in his\her life, and his\her outstanding/excellent ability will make him\her a person of story telling and discussion for other people also striving to excel in the same aspect of life.

that story telling and discussion of someone excellent\outstanding\amazing from the past is telling of a legend thus the individual is legendary and or a legend.

to non surfers the use of legend for this individual may not make sense but I'm sure to keen surfers it sure does make sense :)

I acknowledge your point...

It has become a part of mainstream Australian slang.. it is not longer exclusive - everything is/can be a legend/legendary if you know what I mean.

I AM a LEGEND!!!
In MY own mind of course!!

On a serious note, I am with you Annie. I cannot even stand when celebrities get Australian of the Year. I am all for Doctors, Paramedics, Medical Researchers etc etc
What they do changes people's lives or gives life back to people...they are MY HERO'S.

Michael Peterson was a "legend of" surfing.. if you care about surfing culture.
Much like Eric Worrell was a "legend of" herpetology, but if you don't care much for reptiles he wouldn't be a legend to you.

i think things must be pretty swell in the world, if we are whinging about the use of the term 'legend'.

The world legend doesn't bother me, but what I hate is when sportsmen are called heroes. Well they haven't made my life any better by being paid millions to kick a ball around. The kid who sacrificed his life to save his brother in the floods is a hero. The parents of Daniel Morcombe who have now devoted their lives to helping protect other children are heroes. Not some precious football player that has a fit if they don't get what they want.

The world legend doesn't bother me, but what I hate is when sportsmen are called heroes. Well they haven't made my life any better by being paid millions to kick a ball around. The kid who sacrificed his life to save his brother in the floods is a hero. The parents of Daniel Morcombe who have now devoted their lives to helping protect other children are heroes. Not some precious football player that has a fit if they don't get what they want.

to an extent i agree but i think a lot of people forget\don't realize is a lot of pro athletes have a lot of community work that they are contracted to perform, anything from talks with kids, visiting kids in hospitals, encouraging healthy life styles and providing some kids the encouragement\motivation to try and strive to be better, i'm not saying they all do but if you did a bit of research i'm sure you find quite a few athletes try and give a lot back to the community, i however totally agree the insane amounts of money they get paid is a bit crazy, but if put into perspective is not so bad.

for example most blue collar workers have an earning potential of 40-50 years, good luck finding an athlete that can perform at elite levels for that long with out injury\time off etc i think the average for most top performers is less than 20 yrs

Grannie you are a LEGEND!! I hope you get known is history as the most legendary Australian ever, you're so sick!

Also I dislike the use of the word 'sick', the term 'YOLO', 'YMCMB', 'indie', 'hipster' and 'swag'.

Grannie you are a LEGEND!! I hope you get known is history as the most legendary Australian ever, you're so sick!

Also I dislike the use of the word 'sick', the term 'YOLO', 'YMCMB', 'indie', 'hipster' and 'swag'.

ahahah you dislike 'sick' but say annie is 'sick' lol, you tickle my funny bone

i hate weather people saying its 'hotting up'

Hero or legend is very fitting for many sports people. The self discipline required to perform at an elite level in any field is commendable this discipline and drive is often inspired by their own child hood heroes and/or legends.

Sporting legends and childhood heroes have inspired young people to strive and achieve their best and greatest, which deserves recognition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back