1. Hi there Guest, thanks for visiting the site. Due to changes in circumstances, finances and having run this page for several years, Aussie Pythons and Snakes will be shut down on August 1st. If you or anyone you know would be interested in owning and running one of Australias Longest running Pythons and Snakes forums then please get in touch with Stuart via PM. Thank you for your support over years and please know that this decision has not been made lightly. Regards, Stuart

I'm sick of the word..... legend !!!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by grannieannie, Mar 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dihsmaj

dihsmaj Very Well-Known Member

So has 'One Direction', they're not heroes OR legends

2. cement

cement Subscriber Subscriber APS Veteran

MP is and always will be a legend to surfers. The word legend is jargon/slang and has meanings other then its macquarie dictionary definition. There are surfers and there are surfers. To true surfers MP is a legend. The reasons why will not be to many peoples understanding, and I know you are questioning the word not the person, which is ok by me.

But yeah sure ambos etc, legends in their own right, but many people can do their job, no one could top MP on his day. He was NOT a sportsman.
    RIP MP
    cheers

3. moosenoose

moosenoose Legendary

I think Bradman, even though I can't stand cricket, could be described as a legend.

4. SteveNT

SteveNT Very Well-Known Member

I like the word legend, even by definition it is vauge enough for many applications. (even I've been called one but that has NOTHING to do with me liking it :) ) Graeme Gow was a legend in my books. And David Fleay. Nikki Winmar, Eddie Mabo, Ghandi, all legends. All just real people who have (rightly) acquired mythical reputations. My missus is one and so's my daughter!

It's a tag that doesn't cause as much derision as calling a bloke dropping bombs from from an aeroplane a hero. Or a dictator a saviour.

5. SYNeR

SYNeR Suspended Banned

That's the spirit :)

It's so much easier hating everyone and picking out the exceptions, isn't it? ;)

6. CaptainRatbag

CaptainRatbag Very Well-Known Member

I always thought a leg end was a foot??

Ohhhhhhhhh, legend..... ok, got it now :lol:

7. grannieannie

grannieannie Very Well-Known Member

LOL....I haven't heard of any of those words except... sick ... and I only learned the modern meaning of that a couple fo years ago and I was shocked. LOL

My eldest brother is 70, he rides in bike races, hundreds of kilometres for cancer research because our mother died of breast cancer, and because I've had it....maybe I should call him a legend...actually I just admire him and love him a whole lot..........

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  8. Tildy

Tildy Guest

Sports people may be dedicated and inspiring and whatnot but why are they the Australian heroes when we have people who work day in and day out with the abused and the disabled? That takes more discipline than getting paid millions to play a game that you love. What about the doctors and police and firefighters who are also incredibly dedicated and in many cases risking thier lives. What about those truly excellent teachers out there who dedicate thier lives to forming the minds of the next generations? I just think that there are waaay too many people who deserve the title much more than sports people. And those people dont get recognised (or paid enough in many cases) since they live thier lives out of the public eye.

9. Beard

Beard Well-Known Member

im also sick of the word legend. im sick of the americenisation of the English language, Australian culture and something else i could of if i wasn't so bloody tired. im also sick of not reading the whole thread knowing im probably repeating another post.

10. cwebb

cwebb Suspended Banned

Haha... america is trillions in debt, greece is screwed, lets not even start with the middle east... Africa is starving, korea have their finger on the nuclear button..
    And the aussies are whinging about avatars and legends.

Unreal.

11. MissFuller

MissFuller Active Member

what about our aussie soldiers what do they get even when they die in battle it has to be worth been on the news for them to even be mentioned and most of the time they dont even say there names its disgusting it realy is that Australia care that little about our real hero's

12. grannieannie

I think to suggest I'm.... whinging ... is a bit harsh....I was simply giving my opinion for a bit of light conversation. Don't you every... whing ...or have an opinion on anything ??? The price of petrol, of groceries, bad drivers....I certainly wasn't suggesting that Australia is badly off....just making a comment, as I said, for light conversation....

13. cwebb

cwebb Suspended Banned

i think youll find they will be called a hero, a legend.. every good name under the sun
    their name is released
    and they get a big fancy funeral if the family would like it.

14. grannieannie

strangely my daughters husband is in the Army, and she doesn't believe our boys should be fighting overseas at the moment, though he's all for it. She certainly doesn't consider them heros....she says most Army wives consider the men heros, but she's a pacifist....a strange union in thinking in their marriage....he'll be going overseas this year sometime

15. cwebb

cwebb Suspended Banned

i whinge all day everyday. im a debater, thats what i do. im an adjudicator, my job is to learn how to whinge in a formal manner and judge those who whinge :)
    no offence didnt mean to call you a whinger.. but its whinging. haha

16. vampstorso

vampstorso Very Well-Known Member

You're right Annie, just because things aren't totally rooted for our country (open to debate, I'd argue it is rooted thanks too labor, but that's off topic, kinda)
    Doesn't mean everyday life is perfect or a breeze, or a life people are content with.

It is funny Australia has such a high regard for sports people. Not that they don't deserve some, but perhaps not the level given vs other causes.
    I also feel saying someone is a legend is almost lazy, why not simply state the reasons why, so the world decides for themselves?

...Just another reason too dislike the media I guess.

17. cwebb

cwebb Suspended Banned

i believe many sports people are deserving of being put up on a pedestal.
    they inspire lots of people to "reach their hopes and dreams" and to get to their full potential whatever their sports discipline.

they just inspire me to exercise really but each to their own lol

18. Stompsy

Stompsy Subscriber Subscriber

If I want to call someone a legend or a hero then I will. It must mean I think they are and no one is saying you have to agree. It's just another way to express an opinion and I'm not sure why that would annoy anyone. And it certainly doesn't mean that doctors and the like are not legends either.

19. grannieannie

I agree that the media has a lot to do with putting up people, and they can just as easily take them down.... I think the media has a lot to answer for.

Of course you have the right to call anyone what you want to call them, or think of them as you like. That's the greatness of this country...free speech. I think what prompted me to start this is I've just got onto facebook and was looking up old school friends. I didn't find the woman I was after, but I remembered the name of her brother and when I looked him up I found he'd died last year aged 70. That for most of his adult life he was a doctor and indeed a professor in gynecology and the saving of women with cancer......an unsung person in our society, though he did get awards...but his death never made the media, there was no state funeral....he was just a brilliant man.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  20. grannieannie

Well, I think APS is privately owned and so they have their rules, which if you wish to be part of APS you must obey. Same in society in general I guess...there are rules that we must all abide by, and if we don't there are consequences. But a world without rules would be anarchy

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.