Import/Export licenses in NSW to cost $30

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
its all about power and control

next they'll be freezing the species list ;)

the tracking of pet reptiles in the manner done now serves no purpose whatsoever, other than keeping a department full of frustrated people engaged in an increasingly pointless activity.

thats gold :D

What an absolute joke this is, the service is terrible at best and we have to pay more. Not happy

Hi all I am going to suggest that ALL NSW reptile keepers write to the Director General who is : Ms Lisa Corbyn BA MPA FIPAA Director General. to voice our opposition to the price rise of the licence system given the general lack of "quality" service given by the alphabet dept (DECCW???) With out going into to too much detail which would hamper efforts made by committee's that are actively fighting these changes for us, let me just say that there are a lot of legal issues in question due to the depts attempts to rule over us. NSW has over 20,000 licenced reptile keepers and this number grows each day, its about time we as a group/family or unit (call us what you will) stood up and told DEC enough is enough. As has been mentioned before we are talking about animals that do not come from the wild anymore but are our pets, bred and kept in captivity. So why are NPWS still overseeing the licence system? again there are legal issues contected to my statements. Be aware my fellow keepers that a few comments made on previous posts supporting these dodgy changes are coming from amoungst other not so well meaning people but from DECCW employees... my point is, no use sitting here online crying about whats happening but not having the gall to stand up at a public meeting and personally tell them to get "lost"... If everyone of the 20,000+ keepers attended a meeting and said we have had enough just imagine what we could achieve. I also suggest like I have done, everyone contact your local member of parliment and flood them with the same complaints and concerns. Just remember we have rights too, including rights for "Free trade between states". well thats my rant for the day, its up to every single one of us to stop these stupid things from happening. Don't sit here complaining once its to late.

I think you need to look no further than the NSW Government books, if an accountant was looking at an individuals accounts in the same mess he would be sending us to the bankruptcy courts. It's a grab for much needed cash and no more.

Where does all this money go? What is it spent on? Who are they accountable to? And what the bloody hell is going on....

DazMc, there is far more at stake here than a simple increase in fees - as has been pointed out in this thread, the service is abysmal and there seems to be no acknowlegement of that. If it was amatter of better service=slight cost increase, few would complain.

DazMc, That is exactly the point, if the service was way much better, then I am sure most people would be quite happy about a price increase....that is the bottom line!! How they can even think about putting the prices up as the quality of service goes down I find hard to comprehend!
Probably just typical these days, the workloads get bigger as they lessen the staff.

My understanding from an AHS meeting some time ago with NSW DECCW was that this department has been 'forced' into the idea of petshops selling reptiles as not allowing this is in contravention some Federal Agreement ensuring 'free trade' between states. I wonder how this import/export price and speed of processing differential between states sits against this Federal Agreement.

NSW continues to sit outside this agreement? Certainly there's still no selling in petshops and they certainly have not eased the import/export permit situation but rather done the opposite...

Well i am in the process of purchasing some geckos from NSW. I faxed off my import permit yesterday to DSE VIC, i received my permit today !!! This is free. Now i just have to wait for NSW DECC.

I do believe our license fees are a little higher than yours though.

Well i am in the process of purchasing some geckos from NSW. I faxed off my import permit yesterday to DSE VIC, i received my permit today !!! This is free. Now i just have to wait for NSW DECC.

How much is a 2 year license in Vic? and do you need a separate license for amphibians?

have had an application in to add an A1 class to my license now for 6 weeks with DECC, its a joke, i guess they are waiting till after 1/7/10 so they can rape me the extra $$$

I think you right Jay! Someone correct me if I am wrong but i just did the maths we in Victoria would pay $876.00 for a 5 year licence to cover all animals on the list! Now that price for us Victorian does not take into account out fee's go up aprox 5% every year..What does it cost for 5 years to keep all animals on the list in NSW?

i faxed off my permit to the DSE yesterday and i have not received a reply, thats a pretty fast turn around Jay 84, i might just give them a call tomorrow.

We regularly buy from NSW, work in NSW and have to wait the allotted 2 weeks to go through the process, in terms of working in NSW we have to import our animals to our NSW permit and then export to our Vic permit, so its not $30 for a weekend, its $60, however we pass these costs onto our clients.

In terms of purchasing animals, the question I always ask is: does the cost of freight include the permit fees? I am willing to pay the fee to get the animal if I truly want the animal. In terms of selling to NSW, its up to the purchaser to get the permit, not my problem!

The fee is not the issue for me, it is the lack of consistency throughout Australia, one country, too many different laws state to state.

i faxed off my permit to the DSE yesterday and i have not received a reply, thats a pretty fast turn around Jay 84, i might just give them a call tomorrow.

Did you provide a fax number for them to send your permit to? If you request it to be posted it will take about 5 days. If you nominate them to fax the permit to you they will fax it the following day. VERY quick!

As dottyback said though, we pay higher license fees than NSW.

It's about time the whole issue of licensing was deeply scrutinised. Wokka is absolutely correct to ask what purpose it actually serves in the first place. We are not talking about 'fauna' in the accepted sense anymore - these captive bred animals are more properly referred to as 'pets.' They are not threatened (far from it), they play no part in 'the environment,' they may not be released, for the most part they are born, live & die in private hands. DECCWCS has now produced a list of numbers for possible hybrid combinations for carpet pythons, none of which could ever occur in the wild, but which they insist (by way of the need to hold them on licence) pertain in some way to conservation values.

I could understand the need for licensing if a species was part of a managed breeding program, or in some way threatened, but the tracking of pet reptiles in the manner done now serves no purpose whatsoever, other than keeping a department full of frustrated people engaged in an increasingly pointless activity.

DazMc, there is far more at stake here than a simple increase in fees - as has been pointed out in this thread, the service is abysmal and there seems to be no acknowlegement of that. If it was amatter of better service=slight cost increase, few would complain.

Couldn't agree more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back