Import/Export licenses in NSW to cost $30

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CodeRed

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I just received notification from NSW DECC that all license fees are going up from July 1st 2010.

Import/export licenses will now be $30 each !!!!!
Normal licenses fees are also going up across the board.

This is just ridiculous in comparison to other states.

Its not fresh news that NSWPS/DECC are trying to squash the hobbie as it currently stands in NSW. It seems that any inconvenience caused on us as keepers will somehow magically deter us all from keeping snakes, has anyone rang the DECC recently? how prompt and intelligent was your response? its a painful experience to deal with them, theyre slow to resond, incompident and unbelievably undertrained. Theyre encouraging ppeople to break the law, who wants to pay the money, (twice if they lose your first application form) and then wait for weeks on end someone to process a piece of paper with a number on it so you can sell a snake to someone in another major city? most of the people working there wouldnt know an Allens killer python from a carpet python.

yeah guess what date my licence Both classes have to be renewed lol 2nd july ... just my luck lol ...

This will continue into absurdity as they try and track every captive-bred reptile and frog, from birth/hatch to death, across all states, with paper-based transactions. The number of critters increases exponentially, and these are largely PETS which have NO relationship with conservation, and NEVER will. Talk about old thinking in the new world...

This will continue into absurdity as they try and track every captive-bred reptile and frog, from birth/hatch to death, across all states, with paper-based transactions. The number of critters increases exponentially, and these are largely PETS which have NO relationship with conservation, and NEVER will. Talk about old thinking in the new world...

Jamie, another good reason for moving up north.

Yes indeed Michael. NSW is embarking on a path to put the squeeze on reptile keepers... for some reason herp keepers are singled out for prejudicial treatment in several jurisdictions, WA and Vic come foremost to mind, but there is increasing pressure on all animal keepers from those who are ideologically opposed to our industry/hobby.

A question to the NSW sellers : Will you be passing this fee on to your buyers? Including this fee in the price of the animal?

I suppose i should not complain about VIC DSE then !

I had a discussion with an "officer" the other day and I quizzed him if Qld is looking what other states are doing, e.g. the minimum cage sizes or the prohibitions in WA and TAS, taking DNA samples (as in the WA case). Apparently not, if anything, they are looking into sorting out this silly selling v business situation. I have a faith that they will move in the right direction in this matter.

I guess it's all relative - look at WA - $150 fee for 1 consignment, up to 5 animals if I recall, then extra dough per animal if you exceed that number. But then we wouldn't want any other states to go down that path. It's money for nothing.

How can NSW justify increasing costs and fees when their service is appalling, they lose stuff and take forever to deal with routine paperwork?

Unbelieveable. As I stated before they feel they have lost control over the system ie. cant keep up with the paperwork on time, cant do semi regular inspections, cant do anything. Therefore in an attempt to gain more control if they up the cost they think less people will use that service, freeing up more time. But as it wont work that way they will just cash in again. Until reptile keepers stand up to this kind of behaviour from NPWS, they will do as they please.

The message here is for EVERYONE to get behind and support your herp societies. For without them we will just have to accept whatever the department wants to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
this is redicolous, as kenno said, this is going to discourage people from getting into the hobby. people are going to be doing it the cheap and easy way and either poach them or get exotics. If DECC want to have people doing things properly then they should make it as easy and cheap as possible. as it is i try and buy in NSW but if things are going up im not gunna bother getting things interstate again, but as i build up my collection and start breeding more things i will start to sell interstate and i wont want my buyers having to pay a heap more for an animal interstate, esspecially on to of $50+ freight.

If it makes you feel better ours are free in Qld.

Hopefully in time the imaginary benifits of tracking and over policing common species will be overlooked and common sense will spread throughout the land.

If this continues i struggle to grasp why people would continue to put up with it, especially on common species. People that already breed animals will easily just add a couple extra "bred" animals to the clutch of the species they wish to purchase on their record books. as soon as people lose sight of the logic and reasoning behind the law, they inevitably are broken.

Old thinking in a new world. They still operate under legislation that was proposed and proclaimed when all reptiles were wild caught, and they were uncommon pets. Times have changed. There will be a bit of empire building here, DECCW has recently employed 3 more inspectors to keep us in line, that is probably just the beginning.

Fabricate a problem then fix it - looks good on a CV!

Ours are still free here too !! I find it silly that each state has all their own rules, its no wonder people get so confused.

Did you recieve that in the mail CodeRed?

I disagree with the price rise as we pay good money compared to other states, for a service that seems no better than other states..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back