Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i dont think theres any real punishment involed
i guy last mth got a tiny fine for importing several green trees into the country
and he got to keep his licence.

Perhaps he had something "else" as a bribe. If he managed to smuggle snakes he probably smuggled multiple forms of drugs too.

Threads like this get annoying, there is people on every forum i go on wanting exotic inverts, herps and so on. why cant anyone be happy with the amazing interesting species we have here? I'm just glad i can keep some of these amazing animals we have in our own country stuff the rest of the things. IMO if what you can have here aint good enough move overseas then u can keep exotics simple. then there wouldnt be a need for a new "why cant we have exotics" or "how can i get exotics" thread every day.

Steve k

PM if you want to chat BEC
try and keep this thread on topic.
does anyone know if it is realy against the law in nsw to crossbreed?

trogler if people moved over sea for exotics then thay would have to import from australia for exotics ? lol
why do people always try and push there morals and there prefernce on everyone else
if someone wants exotics and thay dont live with you , so be it ..why then try and tell all those that want them there wrong ? theres other aussie site that are able to have long indepth chat on the subject without the moral police trying to force there likes and ideas down everyones necks....

Last edited:
Threads like this get annoying, there is people on every forum i go on wanting exotic inverts, herps and so on. why cant anyone be happy with the amazing interesting species we have here? I'm just glad i can keep some of these amazing animals we have in our own country stuff the rest of the things. IMO if what you can have here aint good enough move overseas then u can keep exotics simple. then there wouldnt be a need for a new "why cant we have exotics" or "how can i get exotics" thread every day.

Steve k

would have to agree with u its the same as travel people always wont to travel the world but havent even seen this amazing country we all share

heres one for you people who havnt done enough research to find out WHY YOU CANT KEEP EXOTICS IN AUSTRALIA and too the people too ignorant to listen to the people on this website telling you why you CANT..
A man 32 from syd had his house raided, finding a one and a half year old corn snake in hes loundroom including other illegal possessions(armed weapons) and copped a 60,000 fine for the snake and 3 months in jail. so who was thinking of getting exotics?

You think wrong.

back it up with some info mate..

A leading Victorian reptile expert fined $3000 for illegally importing four pythons planned to use the snakes in his collection in a breeding scam for profit.

Meyndert Jacobus Bornman, 32, a former president of the Victorian Herpetological Society, was caught in an Australian Customs sting after four green tree pythons were imported from South Africa.

Melbourne Magistrates Court heard yesterday the snakes were labelled as promotional rugby material, a Springbok jumper or Lonely Planet guides to South Africa.

The pythons, a species listed under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES), were packed in pillow cases surrounded by shredded paper.

Jan McAlpine, prosecuting, told the court Bornman sent $6500 for the snakes' purchase to his mother in South Africa who was instructed by him how to arrange their importation.

Ms McAlpine said quarantine officers at a Sydney international postal facility found a first snake on March 19 this year labelled to an address in Belgrave South.

Ms McAlpine said two more pythons were found in similar parcels on March 30 before investigators later identified Bornman when he checked a post box at the address.

On April 2, after Bornman collected a postal notification card put in the box by investigators - who had also placed a box with matching delivery details at the local post office - he was arrested.

On that same day a fourth python was found in Sydney.

Bornman admitted he found the pythons on a South African web site and planned them as replacements for four licenced pythons that had died.

Ms McAlpine said Bornman revealed he intended to breed them for profit and "would keep the imported snakes illegally until he had money to buy babies and then claim the imported ones were the babies".

Defence lawyer David Starvaggi said Bornman, unemployed, who has degrees in botany and zoology, was apologetic and remorseful and had learned a valuable lesson.

Magistrate John Bentley also convicted Bornman, of Ferntree Gully, who pleaded guilty to four charges of importing a CITES specimen, and ordered him to pay $300 costs.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/nation...765106461.html

you were saying?

Anyone who automatically calles them exotics generally know the rules already. If they are completely uneducated they would call them 'snakes from overseas' etc.

"The maximum penalty for an offence like this is a fine of $110,000, and/or 10 years gaol"

Taken from www.customs.gov.au If you dont count 110 thousand as hefty, then... your very, very wealthy.

Your quote is from a newspaper...not very reliable.

theres a difference between wanting them and someone saying something along the lines of"i dont see what the problem is having exotics"theres a big difference as with people explaining it aready. its the people that think like that that eventually usually get them illegally and pay the price or end up going black market.
Its not what we want its for the animals benifit.before we know it we will have retics roaming our front yards like the US.thats why nothing is aloud in.. be happy with what we have over here. And maybe try this for a thought.. if you want one and KNOW you cant have one, go work at a zoo or volunteer.. whatever. you work with cameleons, iguanas, tortoises, aligators. you name it.. you dont have to OWN it though

PM if you want to chat BEC
try and keep this thread on topic.
does anyone know if it is realy against the law in nsw to crossbreed?

trogler if people moved over sea for exotics then thay would have to import from australia for exotics ? lol
why do people always try and push there morals and there prefernce on everyone else
if someone wants exotics and thay dont live with you , so be it ..why then try and tell all those that want them there wrong ? theres other aussie site that are able to have long indepth chat on the subject without the moral police trying to force there likes and ideas down everyones necks....

Maybe sit down and read before accusing people of things huh. i wasnt trying to shove it down everyones neck i was simply saying my piece and that these non stop threads of people wanting to know why they cant have them or if they can have them or how they can get them tend to get annoying the 1000th time along. the search button is there as many have said in this thread allready.

and if they move overseas and have to import from aus atleast they can still get aus species unlike being here where u can only get aus species, so i dont see the problem there. if people want it so much thats the way to do it.

btw its trogdor. :lol:

Maybe sit down and read before accusing people of things huh. i wasnt trying to shove it down everyones neck i was simply saying my piece and that these non stop threads of people wanting to know why they cant have them or if they can have them or how they can get them tend to get annoying the 1000th time along. the search button is there as many have said in this thread allready.

and if they move overseas and have to import from aus atleast they can still get aus species unlike being here where u can only get aus species, so i dont see the problem there. if people want it so much thats the way to do it.

btw its trogdor. :lol:

sorry mate most of that wasnt directed at you.
PS , like what has been debated over and over again , if you dont like the thread topic DONT go into it , its that simple , it would save you from being so annoyed so much and you will delay baldness just that bit longer ..

LOL baldness is allready on the way in from stress from other crap in life, has nothing to do with this. Im just saying everytime i pop in here or any other forum something like this is BAM right there in the middle of the screen. people need to listen more and use the search bar like people tell them to everytime a new thread like this pops up. :) and no worries mate i understand people get heated in things like this all the time, i was just saying my piece ill leave you all to it now gotta feed the scorps and tarantulas and trapdoors lol.

It would bring a whole new world or disease into the reptile world of Australia. Next thing you know, you could go up to your favorite snakes enclosure, and your snake could be inside out.

yeah but thats why we have quarintening right? i mean couldn't we have scientists do research on what is harmful to either side (in Aus or out) and start from only letting a few species that are completely safe, eligable for regular liscence holders to keep, that being after the snake has gone through a deep analysis of diseases and all the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back