Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah but thats why we have quarintening right? i mean couldn't we have scientists do research on what is harmful to either side (in Aus or out) and start from only letting a few species that are completely safe, eligable for regular liscence holders to keep, that being after the snake has gone through a deep analysis of diseases and all the rest.

Being from a different place, the animals wouldn't have the same immunities as the ones in our countries do. And would fall prone to diseases easier. It isn't worth the risk, if they miss something, disaster may strike.

yeah but thats why we have quarintening right? i mean couldn't we have scientists do research on what is harmful to either side (in Aus or out) and start from only letting a few species that are completely safe, eligable for regular liscence holders to keep, that being after the snake has gone through a deep analysis of diseases and all the rest.

Plenty of scientists did plenty of research when they brought the cane toad in to control the cane beatle. What they have learnt from all the research is that NO new species should be brought in (and allowed into the hands of the average reptile keeper) as we have enough dramas trying to control the exotic pests we have now let alone bringing more in. Australia has a massive range of the best snakes in the world. Appreciate what you have.

Sue

Quarantine will basically gass anything that is organic, i dont think people would appreciat gassed/dead snakes from quarantine, hahaha

So why is it we are the only country in the world to not allow its citizens imported animals?

All the justification in the world cant diminish the fact our laws are EXTREME

As an Australian i feel i should have the legal right to purchase an imported animal if it is tested and free of disease.

Quarantine will basically gass anything that is organic, i dont think people would appreciat gassed/dead snakes from quarantine, hahaha

Yeah, would be difficult to breed or grow a dead animal. Easy to keep though, no attention needed, appart from a quick spray of deodorant.

Rocky - - Hahaha, actually they come back all powdery n stuff. I have imported a raccoon skin from the US before.

So why is it we are the only country in the world to not allow its citizens imported animals?

As an Australian i feel i should have the legal right to purchase an imported animal if it is tested and free of disease.

Its not just the risk of importing disease that is the issue. Otherwise we could import any species after a period of quarantine and testing. Its the simple fact that if new species were imported and kept by people in their homes - some WILL escape. And like so many other species like the cane toad, fox, rabbit, cat, etc some will certainly become pest species and have a very detrimental effect on our already suffering native wildlife populations. I am proud of our native Australian wildlife and support all efforts to keep potential exotic pests out of the country.

Sue

*sigh* I would dearly love a south african Armadillo Lizard, or one of those cute little hognose snakes, but I know why the laws exist, so I will continue to dream. Or maybe go do a photo-sufari looking for them in their natural habitat instead.

The fact is that Australia is unique with it's wildlife. The continent has been separated for so long that our wildlife is not really on the same evolutionary level as most of the world. Our mammals (with the exception of the dingo which is a feral of old) are marsupials and even monotremes, which are rather primitive compared to placentals. They couldn't compete with cats and dogs.
Even our reptiles are a bit behind compared to the rapidly reproducing, hardy corn snake and ball pythons, which although it doesn't mean I think they are inferior, it puts them at a distinct disadvantage.
Can you imagine what would happen to our wild jungle python and green tree python populations if we had a feral population of tree boas? These snakes are at a distinct evolutionary advantage, because they give birth to young ready and rearing to go! Far less vulnerable than eggs!
How could our coastal carpets compete for food and space with boas?
How would our water pythons compete with the humumgous anacondas?

It just wouldn't work. Of course I can't see a feral colony of Galapagos Tortoises getting out of controll and rampaging across the country, you can't really have one exception to the rule, it's easier to enforce a blanket rule. JMO.

Do you seriously believe the laws are extreme for importing snakes?

WOW here i was thinking i am lucky the government care for the environment and the animals in our environment enough to have these laws in place.

I believe there would be no 100% guarantee that the snake you are bringing in are free of disease, some have a very long incubation period so would probably be very hard to pick up.

Then you have the tools who illegally obtain corns and what not that have introduced all sorts of diseases and threats to our environment, i believe it was on aps that i read corns have been removed from the wild already.

Hey if you really really want an illegal snake i'm sure they wouldn't be that hard to get your hands on, but the laugh is on you when you go bragging and some one dobs you in.

My stand on illegals is that they are illegal for a reason and if i ever got offered one that person would be getting reported for it, and not just to Parks SA but also RSPCA and the police, only way to stop the exotics is to report them.

Regardless of all the oppinions we all have it doesnt change 1 fact.

THE LAWS ARE EXTREME.

Regardless of all the oppinions we all have it doesnt change 1 fact.

THE LAWS ARE EXTREME.

Actually, you have it the wrong way around.

The fact is that exotics are dangerous to our native populations of animals.
Your opinion is that these laws are extreme.

I never said i wanted anything imported.

I simply said the laws are extreme!

Not really that extreme, laws are always a litttle broken each day, so when there are stricter rules it deterrs people from the worst of crimes, doesnt mean people abide by every little peice of the guidelines...
That make sense?

I think there is more danger posed to our native wildlife by peoples LEGAL pet cats than by allowing someone to import a boa or land turtle.

Fact is feral cats kill hundreds of thousands of native animals every year in this country.

For all of you so concerned about our natural wildlife why are you not jumping up and down about this issue?

In general most of Australias laws are extreme.

I think there is more danger posed to our native wildlife by peoples LEGAL pet cats than by allowing someone to import a boa or land turtle.

Fact is feral cats kill hundreds of thousands of native animals every year in this country.

For all of you so concerned about our natural wildlife why are you not jumping up and down about this issue?

Ahh yes someones PET got away and now look at the dammage an imported exotic has caused!

No crap Sherlock
Derrr....
Of course cats are an issue. They are a feral pest just like your boa would become if it was imported. Cats are one of the reasons why we have these strict laws these days. We struggle to battle our mistakes of the past so why on earth would you want to introduce more?

I believe there would be no 100% guarantee that the snake you are bringing in are free of disease, some have a very long incubation period so would probably be very hard to pick up.

hi there , could you please tell me what diseases or pest reps have OS that we dont already have here ?
not a dig im being serious.

nobody has said there are planing on bring reps in from OS , RE the original post
only lots of y cant we.
like i said , the variety here in australia will grow over the next 5 years , there will be all sorts of crosses and morphs available ... i cant wait personaly

escaped pets are VERY bad for local wildlife. cats can harass whole flocks of native birds, making their homes unsafe for them. never underestrimate the power of the cat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back