Incomplete shed q?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moses

Reaction score
As some of you may know, my 7mth old carpet was bitten in a few places by a hopper(mi aculpa mi aculpa). She just shed tonight, but the shed is incomplete in the areas where she was bitten, due to scabing. I soaked her in warm water and removed the tail shed and some around the area of the bites. I plan to soak her again in 24hrs, but after that I have no clue what to do? Oh, and should I feed her soon? Thanks
Moses

Hi Moses

hopefully someone with more experience will give the appropriate answer but here's what I would do if I was in you place and couldn't get any help.

If after you soak her again the old skin is still not coming away, I'd leave it as it is. She'll probably shed again reasonably soon as a way of sorting out the affected area. I would also feed her after that soak. I think that for her to heal she will need to keep her metabolism up so a feed and a warm place to digest will probably help in that area too.

Hope what I said is reasonable.

rgds..Graham

sounds fair enuff to me Graham.if she is feeling off as a result of whats happened to her she probably wouldnt eat anyway.at least if she did you would then know that she is ok.

I wouldn't be too persistant in trying to remove the rest of the old skin if it is just a small piece or two and only around the wound scabs. The skin may in fact be seperated from the new but being held on by the scabs and removing it could open up the wounds again. Once the scabs heal it might be a different story but the old skin will probably come away in the healing process. Very difficult to say without seeing the animal but it is something worth checking closely in my opinion. That is all it is mind, my opinion.
Good luck with it :)

Thanks for all the input , it is much appreciated.
Moses

G'daaay Moses ,
My Suggestion if you can is keep the food up to her as well increase the temp. a little . As with a injury like that increaseing the heat stimulates recovery & Will shed A few times over a short period of time to repair itself with regula feeding it will recover but more than likely be shy towards Rats / Mice !
Be patient it will take time !

For my two cents, take the temps up a little like Barney said. As far as feeding, I would offer food, just don't make it a huge meal that really stretches the skin. Soak for maybe a half hour in slightly above room temp water (don't go too hot, just slightly warm). After a good soaking, rub off what you can with the pads of your fingers. Don't get too aggressive with anything that won't come off. Grahamh is right, your snake will shed again soon enough. It may take three or more sheds for all damage to go away. Even more if it's really bad. Your snake may always show signs of damage there, but more than likely, it'll heal up fine. Just be patient, and good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back