Incomplete Shed

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fangs

Reaction score
Just had one of our baby maccies shed.Problem is that on the upperjaw and head the old skin is retained.Everything else is ok.Should we leave him to his own devices,spray him,bath him etc?
Any advice?

cheers :)

Does that mean the eye scales (specticals) are still covered?
That's the most important bit.

Usually my girls have just the tip of their tail still in old skin, when this happens I wet down a make-up removal cotton pad and gently pull away the old skin by letting them slither through my hand.

I'd be interested to hear how people deal with unshed specitcals?

If the eye scales are still there, I?d be very careful, because you can do permanent damage to their eyes, if it does not come off easy.
Sometimes it?s better to leave it till next time, it usually comes off then.
But it seems , you might have to increase the humidity in your tank and maybe spray a bit of water next time, when you see the shedding process starting. Also put your water dish near the heat source to create more humidit.y
Artie

Also, I forgot to mention, the water dish should be deep enough for the snake to totally submerge, as they generally go in themselves to soften up their skin if they feel it is too dry.

Thanx everyone.
It is the entire top part of the head that didn't come off,eye scales included.The rest lower jaw included came off in one piece.
this is his fifth shed and the first time with any probs.Humidity is about 65% and they have ample water.
He just scoffed down 2 large pinkies so I will wait 2 days and let him slither thru a damp towel or something similar if he doesnt clean it up himself unless anyone can advise something that might work better.

cheers

With a bit of luck, he will still get it off him self in a couple of days.
It happened to one of my maccies ones. I did mist him with water a few times.
Good luck!

Id put it in a tub of warm water (just above room temps luke warm not hot) and leave it for 20-30 mins.Sounds harsh but it does work.
Then simply peel it off with tweezers or use nicoles approach and let it crawl through your hands with a remover pad.It should come off easily but if not repeat again the following day as it will gradually soften and losen the skin.

We got it all off him last week.
Got a heat mat out and placed a damp washer on it to warm it up.
Put the snake on it and folded it over.After about 5 minutes or so I picked him up in one hand and held the washer flat in my other hand.I then folded the washer around his head and he kept pulling back against it.
Kept doing it so I figure he knew what we were trying to do as if he didnt like it he could have went in another direction ie:away from the towel.
Took over an hour all up but it all came off eye scales included.
Not once during the entire episode did he snap or get irritated.I honestly believe he knew what was going on.

cheers

Hes done it again.Last night he shed and the same thing happened.All skin off except the head(top section only including eye scales).
Its not a humidity problem as when he went cloudy I bumped the humidity up(around 75%) just to make sure and sprayed his container when he came out to begin.Hes the only one this happens to also.
Ended up getting the remainder off in one piece,eye scales included using a damp towel again.
Anyone know whats going on with this snake??

cheers M..........

Is it a problem is a snake does not shed very often?
I have an 18 month old Maculosa and he has only shed 4 times in his life. I've herd that juviniles are supposed to shed quite often. As far as I can tell he is in perfect health, does anyone know why this might be?

That was his fifth shed in five months.The first 3 were perfect.

cheers

Big Mac's eyes are cloudy again, she is heading for her fourth shed, she's about a month younger than Fang's, same breeder, different clutch.

No one wants to take a stab as to why this snake doesn't shed clean?

cheers M..............

I?ll take a stab at it, with the help of a book called ?What?s Wrong With My Snake?. It doesn?t mean that any of these things are the problem, but it may give you something to consider.

The reasons given are: parasites, malnutrition, infection, metabolic irregularities, tumors or usually poor environment ie humidity too low, substrate too dry, or no rough surface to rub against.

Well, I hope this helps and it?s none of the more serious things.
Cheers Artie

Thanx Artie,
I doubt its any of those possibilities as I dont think any of them apply.We have another three kept under identical conditions and dont have a problem.
He seems very healthy,has a great appetitte and is growing about 30mm a month.Its almost as if he cant get the shed started on his top jaw,the skin directly behind it comes off easily and in one piece.

cheers M......

Could it be mites Fangs? They can be responsible for partial sheds and as you are now the proud owner of quite a little collection there they may have caught it off each other.

Gotta microscope?

Cheers Hawkeye

Nah Hawkmeister,
They are as clean as a whistle.I wish the cause was as simple as that though.

cheers M...........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back