Indian Palm Squirrels for sale

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bump73

Very Well-Known Member
Banned
Reaction score
Okay this isn't a dodgy petlink add:lol:

I had a friend email me to say she was at a nursery/pet shop which sold rabbits etc, out at windsor and they had a aviary with palm squirrels which they are breeding and selling:shock:

$1000 for hand raised or $500 for non hand reared.... Are these legal???

The place isn't hiding the fact they are selling them as they are on display for all to see apparently very cute...

Ben

how cute are they?? but the sad thing is will they be our next over run ferrrrrral species to invade our country because people buy them think they are great at the time ,lose a few offspring and we all know the rest....

i'm not 100% sure on the legalities of exotic mammals but i would think they are illegal but since they have them on display mayb not?

Thats what i'm not sure on, you can keep rabbits ferretts etc so maybe they fall in that category:?

so are these being bred illegally or are there people licenced to breed them?

Well that's good cause she said they were sold being desexed and microchipped:)

Which i guess means they are probably legally bred...

Got no problem with them if thats the case, actually wouldn't mind getting them but at $1000 i'd buy another snake or 2:lol:

Ben

My cousin keeps them and has done so for many years. Obviously he has all the correct licensing. The squirrels hide a lot and you rarely see them except for feeding times.
He also has primates as well.

Greg.

how cute are they?? but the sad thing is will they be our next over run ferrrrrral species to invade our country

There's already a feral population of them running around the grounds of the Perth Zoo. At least they're being sold desexed. And I guess for $1000 you're unlikely to get sick of it and turf it out.

Stewart

I cannot believe you guys – squares will not become feral due to their feed requirements. In the 1950’s, Australia use to have squirrel populations in the capital cities (Melbourne had them on Spring Street). After removal of their food source (habitat) – in this case oak trees - they died out.

I just love how any animal that is not indigenous to the area will become “feral”.

I repeat – DPI (or even federal government) should do a risk assessment to the bio diversity risk posed by many common global pets. This would stop people making the uneducated blanket claims that an animal species will become feral or other wise.

I cannot believe you guys – squares will not become feral due to their feed requirements.

Im sure there are worse species, but squirrels are not as fussy as you make out...
Kinda like pigeons they could form dense populations around cities but few and far
between when in regional areas, as far as feral potential goes i would think..

I mean, if you were actually in New York or even North America as you like to make
out you would actually have some idea! :|

I cannot believe you guys – squares will not become feral due to their feed requirements.

I repeat – DPI (or even federal government) should do a risk assessment to the bio diversity risk posed by many common global pets. This would stop people making the uneducated blanket claims that an animal species will become feral or other wise.

I don't really understand what you're saying. The squirrel species mentioned in this thread already has an established, feral population in Perth. See the post directly above yours.

Stewart

Im sure there are worse species, but squirrels are not as fussy as you make out.

i doubt the natural diet is even acorns, how many Quercus species are native to india? Not that many i'd imagine. I would think they would eat most seeds so wouldnt suprise me if they could establish here.

An extract from:

http://www.agric.wa.gov.au/content/pw/vp/f11300.pdf

Palm squirrels live in and close to houses and gardens. They often damage introduced gardens plants
and trees by eating the fruits and buds. They also scavenge for waste food and have been seen to
steal school children's sandwiches. They may damage electrical wiring in houses creating a fire risk.
In India their diet includes seeds, fruit, nuts, insects and birds' eggs. Palm squirrels could threaten
vine and fruit crops and possibly market gardens close to the city. They could also reduce the
numbers of native birds nesting in city parks and gardens.

I think my favorite squirrels are the chipmunks I used to encounter when camping in central Canada. We used to camp beside lakes and relax on the granite rock shoreline. The chipmunks would come and purloin peanuts we would leave for them.

That said I don't think they have any place in Australia. Many in their native North America consider squirrels a pest. Why would we import them here?

Okay this isn't a dodgy petlink add:lol:

I had a friend email me to say she was at a nursery/pet shop which sold rabbits etc, out at windsor and they had a aviary with palm squirrels which they are breeding and selling:shock:

$1000 for hand raised or $500 for non hand reared.... Are these legal???

The place isn't hiding the fact they are selling them as they are on display for all to see apparently very cute...

Ben

That would be Kellyville pets.
I have seen the aviary with these in them there.
And you are correct, they are right infront of the service counter for all to see & buy.
I was very interested in them but wasn't sure if they were legal or not.

I have also seen them at Berkshire park Bird farm but can't remember if they were just on display or if they were for sale there.

Interestingly, the feral population in Perth Zoo only survives in the zoo grounds. Once they stray out of the grounds they usually fall prey to cats. But I have no doubt they would do very well in an environment free of cats.

:p

Hix

Interestingly, the feral population in Perth Zoo only survives in the zoo grounds. Once they stray out of the grounds they usually fall prey to cats. But I have no doubt they would do very well in an environment free of cats.

I believe that numbats also prey heavily on squirrels. This is evidenced by the lack of numbats in countries where squirrels are abundant.

On a more serious note... A friend of mine visited Perth Zoo years ago, and returned home with stories of the numbats that roam free in the grounds. When I went to the zoo a few years later I figured out that he had actually been seeing the squirrels.

Stewart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back