Injured Baby Jacky Dragon

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JonnyD

Reaction score
Hi, I’m new to this forum and I was wondering if anyone can give me an advise on what to do because I’m really worried.
It looks like my younger baby Jacky dragon got a broken front left limb.
She keeps it attached to her body and she’s not using it to move.
I just found her in this condition after I got back home from shopping and I am worried because she sharing the enclosure with 2 older Jackies (about 5 weeks older).
I think she is too tiny to take her to the vet she weighs only 3g and I’m scared there’s nothing to fix to help her.. has anyone had a similar situation?

Yes - many years ago my juvenile male eastern bluetongue skink being very much a livewire and hurt his right arm somehow in his rearing tub a few months after we bought him , same symptoms.

Took to one vet, the nearest who said it as a sprain, didn't improve in a next couple of days.
So I took him to another vet who was much more thorough, xrays revealed a spiral break on the big upper arm bone, the treatment involved a General and inserting a specially made stainless steel pin in the bone to stabilize it , a full shoulder and arm cast to immobilize the arm and shoulder for about a month, and pain relief and antibiotics injects & calcivet by mouth . The arm bone reset surgery cost a few hundred and was done and he was home that afternoon. He was about 6 months old so a bit bigger than your little dragon.

Healed up nicely , and 10 years down the track he's a happy big boy who you'd never know had a broken arm.

She's only 3g so I don't think a vet can pin the bone if it's broken , but should be able provide some support and protection for it, when they are so little their bones are very plastic and growing very fast .

I'm sure a good reptile vet will have seen this all too often and will have developed a way to help - I'd take advise from a good reptile vet in your area on this .

I suggest moving her into a tub with no access to climb other than ontop the hide, a hide and basking light and UV globe , and keep her separate from the others while she's injured so she has a better chance of catching her share of insects and wont risk being attacked by the others.

This might be due to an attack by another larger jacky.
I wouldn't be housing her with them until she's closer to them in size to prevent further attacks if it was indeed an attack.

Can you show up the shared tank , if not an attack , it might have been a fall or leap gone wrong, or something else in the tank that caused it.
[doublepost=1559546111,1559473622][/doublepost]Update ?

NuttyLizardGuy
Thank you so much for your reply.
My little dragon finally got better and is back jumping and climbing in the enclosure.
I did kept her separate and everything worked out well, didn’t even go to the vet and spend money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back