Insurance For Reptiles

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gbskda

Not so new Member
Reaction score
With the increasing popularity of people keeping reptiles as pets/companions. And the increasing threat for them being stolen as I have heard of, do you think insurance companies should insure reptiles against theft.

I have contacted several Insurance companies such as Suncorp, RACQ, NRMA and AAMI, with no success of insurance.

Even though my collection is small compered to other members of this site, I still value my snakes and I would like to insure them.

I don't think anyone would be stupid enough to break into my house since I have 8 Security trained Dobermans on site, but the risk is still there, thats where I am glad of where I live in the country, but if I lived in the city I think it would be a real concern.

We all know that our reptiles not only hold a personnel value but also financial value as reptiles can cost anything up to $5000.00 for a Green Tree Python (Chondropython viridis), and with the Black Market always looming around I believe we should be able to insure them.

This forum is only the belief of the gbskda ( Grant Macdonald )

We are flat out insuring horses and some of them can command quite a price!

It certainly is a valid point though. A larger collection especially! It is alot of money, time, etc.

Sue

iv tried every insurence company icould think of not just for snakes but also our fish but no one will do it only cats dogs and horses

if you are joking metalica :lol: if not its the actual snakes and there enclosers people want insure in case some one steels them

any way my snakes own things like mice and enclosers

I've heard rumors of an insurance company in Great Britain that will insure literally anything for the right price. I think I remember hearing about Jennifer Lopez insuring her butt (something about it being her source of income) in one of the tabloids.

More seriously though, you might check to make sure it isn't already covered in your home-owners insurance. I mean, I would think it could be considered personal property unless there was a specific exemption to pets. Secondly, if you had a large enough collection to justify insuring it, chances are you're a dealer. At that point, I would think you could insure it just like any other business related property. I know there are some legal things over there about breeding reptiles as a business. I'm under the impression that most who do keep it under a certain amount, so it still qualifies as hobby. Not real sure how you would go about playing that legal game, but I imagine any good small business lawyer could make it happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back