Interest in a Herp "twitchathon" ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonL

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone would be interested in such an event, to be held over a summer weekend??? For those who are not interested in birds, a twitchathon is a term that birdos use for a fun weekend out looking for birds, teams are made of groups of 4 - 6 odd people that go around trying to sight more species of birds than other teams in there area, there are of course rules, like half the team have to sight or hear the animal and so on. I thought it may be a fun weekend if we could get enough interest within the Sydney area to hold one for reptiles & amphibians, different points for different species, sight only, no disturbing habitat, all just for fun so no need for BS, only animals easily identifiable by sight will be on the list, end it with a BBQ somewhere?? would probably only need about 4 teams to make it worthwhile for starters? anyone interested? might even be good to have herp societies put their own team in??

id be keen, if it was in brisbane.

Well if it takes off, someone up there might organise the same thing, and as long as it was all under the same rules, you could have a state of origin battle!!, though Qld would of course win every time :(

state of origin battle!!, though Qld would of course win every time :(

good to see you know who the better state is......

yeah where are the people in QLD that have no life to set this kind of thing up....

good to see you know who the better state is......

yeah where are the people in QLD that have no life to set this kind of thing up....

It's not really that hard, I watched a TV show a few months back on a twitchathon around the east coast of NSW, they had a mixed group of birdos, from your more elderly types, to a team that called themselves "The Brewers", a group of young men that filled their boot up with eskies, designated one of their mates as a driver and spent the weekend drinking beer and sighting birds, they even did quite well.. now tell me, surely you Qlders would be up for that, even if you have to get your mums to drive ;)

It's not really that hard, I watched a TV show a few months back on a twitchathon around the east coast of NSW, they had a mixed group of birdos, from your more elderly types, to a team that called themselves "The Brewers", a group of young men that filled their boot up with eskies, designated one of their mates as a driver and spent the weekend drinking beer and sighting birds, they even did quite well.. now tell me, surely you Qlders would be up for that, even if you have to get your mums to drive ;)

humm would be up for it... however what would be the ideal area for this to take place??

or would it just be random groups of people going to random area over the weekend all over the state?

The Hunter home-brewers won that year, and the successive year (last year).

Frogs that are calling should count... Birds identified by call but remain unseen are counted in a twitchathon.

I'd be keen if i was around.

-H

The Hunter home-brewers won that year, and the successive year (last year).

Frogs that are calling should count... Birds identified by call but remain unseen are counted in a twitchathon.

I'd be keen if i was around.

-H

I am aware that bird calls count, but my thoughts are that we wouldn't count frog calls as not many can identify alot of the calls, that would leave it open slather to the few that could, trying to keep it even as possible to keep the interest up.

hmm sounds like it could be a fun day id be up for it i recon my mate who is also on APS would also be up for it ill ask him later :D let us know if ur gonna organise it
cheers

humm would be up for it... however what would be the ideal area for this to take place??

or would it just be random groups of people going to random area over the weekend all over the state?

Well, that all depends on interested groups, and how many we have and from where. There would be limits to where you could go depending on where you live I guess, though I havn't thought that far ahead as yet.

I am aware that bird calls count, but my thoughts are that we wouldn't count frog calls as not many can identify alot of the calls, that would leave it open slather to the few that could, trying to keep it even as possible to keep the interest up.

Can we exclude small skinks as well because they can be fiddly to ID? :D:D:D:D:D:D I've honestly never got a handle on them.

-H

Sounds great, definitely interested! Might even be able to persuade the boyfriend to participate.....

Hell yeah, count me in!

Day? Night? Region (eg Kuringai Chase National Park)?

Can we exclude small skinks as well because they can be fiddly to ID? :D:D:D:D:D:D I've honestly never got a handle on them.

-H

Those rules will have to be worked out, but certain animals will be clumped together ( suprise suprise ;) ) some at a species level ( eg; water dragons) , and some maybe even at a genus level ( species that can't be id'ed without being handled or with frogs, being heard calling). I'd hope you may be of assistance with some of the rule making H, so what skinks do you have trouble with within a days drive from Sydney? ;) lol...

Hell yeah, count me in!

Day? Night? Region (eg Kuringai Chase National Park)?

Probably looking at starting on a Friday night, through to lunch time on Sunday, on a weekend in Jan or Feb. If you are keen, you will have to organise yourself a team, the area involved will be roughly the central coast to somewhere south of the Gong..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back